News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My First "Large Group" Ride

Started by YellowJacket!, April 18, 2009, 02:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Wow!  I've never done a large group ride before and I finally got my chance to do one today when the hospital system I work for put on the annual "We Care" ride.  We started out with 30 or so bikes and picked up a bunch more at each of the stops we made a long the way - each a hospital in our system.
It was great.  Most of the bikes were Goldwings, several GW Trikes to, many harleys, an FJR, a Harley with a really cool sidecar and a wide assortment of other 2 wheeled modes of transportation including one custom fat tire bike.  The funny thing was that at each stop lots of the people came over and talked to me about my "unique loooking" bike. One guy even knew about the Vision and had owned a SECA.
The whole ride was just over 100 miles and went great with one small setback.  One of the riders got a little close as we slowed down on a very twisty road and locked his front brake in some sand.  Went over sideways at low speed.  Now injury's except to his pride and a few scratches on the bike.  We also came to a squeeze point in the road and a lady in a SUV tried to pass us with oncoming cars and two bycycles approaching.  There was still about 5 bikes in front of me ans I stuck my arm out to try to stop her.  She ended up not only hitting the oncoming car head on but side swiping me.  heh heh heh...we boxed her in and rode another 5 miles really slow.  The lady in the side car later told me that she wrote down the license plate and almost called 911.
We headed back to the main hospital and took a break for lunch after about 3 hours of riding.  All in all it was a great experience and really hope I'm off work for the next one.  YJ performed flawlessly the whole time except I lost two nuts off my MAC mounting bracket somewhere along the way so I'll have to fix that asap.  I took my ride cam along but by the time we got to the first stop it had already shut itself off so I'm not sure how much video I got but I'll try to post it to my blog site.
Now I'm really looking forward to the SOROV ride....whenever thats gonna be....   8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

oh.... forgot to mention.  I rode SOLO!  :-)  Stayin out of trouble.  8)

David

rhpaw

loctite!

trouble.. you mean this?

03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

YellowJacket!

Yep...hooked her up with one of my friends for the ride.  She was a no-show.

David

rhpaw

:(

I'm all about the brunettes. sorry to hear that..

Kid Jedi

OSHA would have a field day.....
Loves to over think things.

rhpaw

I wouldn't report her.
Hell, I'd try to talk her into wearing some Librarian glasses.  (for safety, ofcourse)
:D

Kid Jedi

Loves to over think things.

rhpaw

A freakin' saint!
Any chance I get to post a pic of beautiful woman, I'll do my damndest to keep you guys happy.