Oh Happy Day - No stumble!

Started by pinholenz, October 06, 2014, 04:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Success at last.

Today I took my XZ550 with the rebuilt carbs out for a blat. Sounded great with POD's stainless exhausts, but, joy of joy, it rode like a proper motorcycle! No gasps, stumbles coughing or gagging. I was able to idle along in top gear at 1500 revs and wind open the throttle without any complaint from the motor. Astounding. Redlined nicely through the gears.

YES, it can be done and after two years of having to nurse the throttle open, I am so relieved.

The recipe has been a complete dismantle and thorough clean in spray painters gun cleaner. Then new butterfly seals, new jets throughout and new "o" rings wherever I could. Carbs synced nicely with my $10 U tube . (But I haven't done the valve shims yet.)

120 jets on top of the carb. Mains are 125 front and 130 rear. Idle jet is a standard #60.

I am getting a tiny weeny bit of hesitation when I roll on the throttle after engine braking downhill or into a corner. But, what a joy to be able to accelerate out of a corner properly!

Grinning from ear to ear. Roll on summer!

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

That's great to hear pinholenz. Your recipe includes some key factors like carb cleanliness and replacing soft parts. Slight hesitation here or there seems inevitable with these carbs even at their best. Despite that, your results show a Vision can be made to be an enjoyable riding experience. Well done!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

He he, thanks.

I was wondering if a "No stumble jetting guide" might be a useful thread? An opportunity to post various jetting combinations that readers have found have worked with their exhaust set-ups and have eliminated the dreaded bogging.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

Sounds like a good idea although I'd drop the word jetting and just leave it as a "No Stumble Guide". Jetting is only one part of the equation and arguably not the most important.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan