News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Technical Bulletins

Started by Coil Coyle, January 28, 2009, 03:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Hey Guys,

Did you know that the Yamaha parts pages also have the Technical Bulletins?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx at the 1982 XZ550RJ page they are near the bottom of the component menu on the left.

$0.02
;)
Coil

supervision

Thank you very much, indeed!  What a score! We now can read the original set up prceedures to the things. 
" border="0

xswheels

Very interesting indeed Coil, thanks for posting that. Wow Nov 1983 and Yamaha is worried about bikes in the showroom with flaking rust accumulating in the gas tanks. I wonder if it was caused by using sub grade steel. That is probably the reason today we struggle so much with badly rusted tanks. It brings to mind when GM and others used sub grade steel in the body panels in the early 70's. I had a 1973 El Camino that had 6" high rust through by 1975.
Another thing I thought interesting was replacing the main jets with similarly sized replacements because they are more precise than the originals.
I realize these bulletins are for all Yamaha models and not just our Vision, but I have a query regarding the mixture screws. The exploded view shows an O ring between the washer and spring. I have now pulled apart 4 mixture screws and have never seen an O ring. Should there be one?

Night Vision

Quote from: xswheels on January 28, 2009, 03:16:30 PM

I have a query regarding the mixture screws. The exploded view shows an O ring between the washer and spring. I have now pulled apart 4 mixture screws and have never seen an O ring. Should there be one?

I haven't seen the TSB picture but have seen the sequence posted here as needle - spring - washer - oring....

the carbs I have rebuilt needed the orings "dug out" with a paper clip / wire so I'll bet your's are still in the carbs... dig them out before you dip the carbs 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

xswheels

Actually i was pretty diligent when checking for O rings on the initial dis assembly. I used a magnifying glass and a LED light. None were there. So they go on last when inserting the spring and washer onto the needle. Can anyone confirm the size of these O rings? I"m figuring 1x3 mm.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: supervision on January 28, 2009, 08:01:29 AM
Thank you very much, indeed!  What a score! We now can read the original set up prceedures to the things. 

SV,

Thanks go to the Flying Pig! 8)

I was printing parts breakdowns to try and figure out how to bleed the combo rear disc/one front disc brakes and there were lots of Technical bulletins for the Venture.

A look at the XZ550 83 parts list was fruitless then at the 82 they were there.

I liked the one about accelerator pump adjustment. The "83" carbs came in on the late 82's. That's why Hussein has the accelerator pump carbs. I thought that an enthusiast had swapped them before I got him from Odium.

;)
Coil

Rick G

Neither Yamaha or  Honda provided the tiny O ring. I made some from very small rubber tubing for a while, but later found that Arctic Cat used a Mikuni in 2000 and 2001 so I was able to order them. If you need some let me know.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

xswheels

Thanks for the offer Rick G. I am going to try and locate some locally today. I'll let you know soon. Once again thanks for the offer. What a great group.

Lucky

These have been included on my Cd (now DVD) for a few years now...

I also have several of the originals on paper (not for sale)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Lucky,

Do you have an original bulletin for the "Shark Fairing" installation?

I've got one you can have if you don't.

;)
Coil

Lucky

No, that i don't have, you can email me a scan if you want to keep the original.
thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

The mixture screw orings are 3mm id. x 5mm od. They can be bought in bulk from MCMaster-Carr. I swiped some out of a vision kit to fix a little girl's 305 kawasaki. ;)

Rick G

They fit a vast array of Honda's too. Honda never made them available individually either.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike