Nice info to use.......R/R connectors .....

Started by vadasz1, June 23, 2012, 09:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Just a shameless plug (pun intended) for our very own Tiger...

He makes and sells complete R/R wiring sets that use similar plugs.  They are very reasonable and of excellent quality.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vadasz1

I didn't say to by them from the site, but the info is very good on it.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

The Prophet of Doom

I'm contemplating this for my bike to replace every single connector.  It seems a bit spendy though so I haven't pulled the trigger yet - that would buy me a new helmet.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/755-piece-weather-pack-kit-p-380.html

Re-Vision

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on June 24, 2012, 12:06:33 AM
I didn't say to by them from the site, but the info is very good on it.

Oh, I know that.  I was just mentioning it for the benefit of all the new people who may not have known.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

pullshocks

Tigerized my R/R connection last night.  Very nice hardware. 

fret not

better to have overkill than underkill! ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

pullshocks

With the well known problems of the stock connector, replacing it seems like a good idea.  Tigers connectors are not cheap at $20 .....if you know of a more cost effective connector, let us know.   

They do include some extra wire which is helpful when relocating the R/R .

Re-Vision

Wasn't speaking about Tiger's connectors, only Roro's replacing all connectors.    BDC

The Prophet of Doom

I don't know why this is overkill.  The usual advice is to clean till bright and grease, which I have done very thoroughly, but it's only a stop gap measure.

Despite the cleaning I still get voltage drops and a lot of noise, and I still have occasional electrical issues.  On close inspection I find some of the connectors are no longer a close click fit and a lot of the Japanese crimping is shoddy, leading to corrosion between the wire and the connector (which is not fixed by making the connectors shiny).  There are also mismatched metals in the connectors (my r/r has zinc one side, copper on the other) so galvanic corrosion is a certainty.

The only way to to fix this properly is to replace all the connectors, crimping properly with a decent ratcheting tool, and soldering.  The only question is whether I replace with stock style connectors which we know have a limited useful life, or modern ones which should be more reliable but with a significantly higher price.

Re-Vision

For me it would be overkill, I suppose if my bike was near saltwater it could likely be a different story. You didn't mention having electrical problems and I assumed a functioning bike. I worked fighter aircraft for many years and I know what corrosion can do to connectors. Crimping connectors and then soldering is like wearing a belt and suspenders. Because you will be using old wires, clean wires with a good solder flux before crimping so solder will flow and make a good connection when you solder( Don't solder and then crimp, it deforms solder and breaks strands). I personally think a good solder connection doesn't need crimping and crimping with the proper tool on clean wire doesn't need soldering. If you are having troubles, by all means fix your problems even if you have to build a new wiring harness. JM2cents      BDC

The Prophet of Doom

I live in the seaspray zone which is just gremlin food.
On the plus side I get to sit on my deck and look at the pacific ocean every day while my bike is rusting