News:

Main Menu

Matte Black Paint Question

Started by Rube, June 09, 2010, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Sorry, to my eyes its the uglyest Vision I've ever seen.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rube

Quote from: inanecathode on June 15, 2010, 12:00:10 AM
Quote from: Rube on June 14, 2010, 12:37:19 PM
HAHAHA...touche my friend. I was going for the street fighter look because the '82 is so naked. I'm 28 so i fall right into that group of hooligans.  ;D

I used to work with a guy that stunted his GSXR a little bit and he got tired of dinging it up so he sprayed the whole thing with rhino liner. Is was a little weird but cool at the same time.

Come on man you're 6 years older than i am, paint the thing a nice color with a mile deep shine, polish yer metal bits and it'll get the nice ladies, not the stunta skanks.

Stunta skanks are AWESOME...lol Who knows what color the bike will be by the time I paint it. I'm so indecisive. I've changed my mind from pearl white to yamaha blue to ducati red.

That bike is a bit to much matte for my taste. I want to incorporate some gloss black, keep the engine silver and VERY few touches of chrome.  Plus, dare I say it, IMHO I absolutely HATE the stock fairings on the vision. The vision has a bit of a modern look and I think the fairings date it right back to 1983.

82 Vision (Under Construction)

inanecathode

That guy is cool enough for TWO! Sets of mirrors!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Blurred Vision

VISIONS DON'T LOOK GOOD IN WHITE lol, its not very flattering to her shape lol. And I agree the matte black vision pic posted is discusting. I had a hard time coming up with my paint scheme, but it will come to you, maybe in a dream, or you will see something that catches your eye and be like " that's it"!!
Take your time, a rushed paint job looks like a rushed paint job lol. If your into matte finish, make sure you have some gloss, do some pieces flat, but mostly gloss on the body anyways.
My frame, forks, rad cover, bars, rear drive section, mirrors, rims and tail piece are flat, with a few gloss black pieces and the rest gloss color. Polish up your shiny bits and your all set. And hey if you don't totally like it you can paint it again next year, this is paint number 5 for me lol.
Jay

The Prophet of Doom

White visions are the best.  This is my previous (rattle can) paint job which fell off when I spilled petrol on it.
When I got it re-sprayed I kept it white but added red stripes.  I actually prefer the all-white look but too late now obviously.

Night Vision

Quote from: roro on June 15, 2010, 02:03:23 AM
I've posted this before -  I think it's bitching

what's up with the chrome fork tubes?  ???
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

It's the only thing that will survive the fork seals without having serious problems ???

Re-Vision

Looks like it was dipped in the Gulf.   BDC

Blurred Vision

With the fairing it doesn't look bad, but a 82, the tank just looks huge lol.
Jay

Rube

Quote from: roro on June 15, 2010, 06:10:06 PM
White visions are the best.  This is my previous (rattle can) paint job which fell off when I spilled petrol on it.
When I got it re-sprayed I kept it white but added red stripes.  I actually prefer the all-white look but too late now obviously.

I like the white. Very much so actually.
If I were to paint mine white, I would paint the wheels white, the soon to be round headlight and gauge cluster white, the rear sets and every thing else down there black, the forks an anodized gold, caliper red, then do a light silverish Yamaha decal on the tank.   :)
82 Vision (Under Construction)

Lucky

white wheels are going to look very bad, very fast...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

I would powder coat the wheels black if you are going white on everything else.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Blurred Vision

I agree white rims will not be white for long. The surface is pitted and hard to get a good solid coat of anything on them without sandblasting or harsh sanding. This is the place for matte finish lol the rims.
Jay

ejether

Hey Nightvision,

Its that all black on yours?
I'm interested luggage mounting in the photo.

And about paint... just to keep on topic.
Mines a rattle can black and dented tank with purple glossy side covers.. nice huh ;)

EJ

Night Vision

no, the black one is not mine... but the luggage mounts are probably either Hepco Becker or Krauser...

hard to find over here... popular in Germany

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ejether

Thanks Night Vision,

I happen to be very well acquainted with a skilled metal worker who is quite fond of me as well.
I really just need a drawing and she can make whatever I want :-)
Lead times can very but customer service is excellent!