News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cool Tool if I do say so myself

Started by Night Vision, July 15, 2011, 11:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Since Roro was complaining about how hard it is to remove the front plug..... I thought it was time I shared my secret (patent pending) front spark plug tool...

get yerself some of this...

factory spark plug socket...17mm head bolt.. couple of 17mm jam nuts and a 17mm swivel head ratchet wrench (my all time favorite tools)

and do this.....

gets that spark plug right outta there!!!

puts it back too!  :D

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

The Prophet of Doom

That's pretty cool.  Of course I don't have a factory spark socket

Tiger

:) Now that's thinking outside the box (wrench)!!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

Getting the spark plug in or out is simple. It's gettng a torque wrench to set things properly . I have an 18mm s-k spark plug socket. It has hex on the outside to put a socket in it. So it makes it easy enough to get proper torque. You can do anything with the proper tools. Just have to find them.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Night Vision

yeah, an 18mm thin wall spark plug sockets will work on most visions.... but for some reason, the casting on the valve covers can be tight... we actually had to file the sides down on the factory plug wrench to get to my brother's plugs.....

fuggitabout any socket on his... unless you wanted to put the plugs in and then put the valve covers on  :P 
;D

Lucky

Another tip:
get a 5-6" section of fuel line and slip it over the porcelin on the new plug then install the plug. easier to reach and no possabilitiy of cross threading it.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

67GTO

I need the spark plug tool for my black 83. Are they available from Yamaha yet, and if so does anyone have a part number?
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Night Vision

try ace hardware... pretty sure they have a small engine plug wrench with a 5/8" and 3/4" end... 3/4"~18mm

you would have to modify the bolt/ jam nut and speed wrench sizes to fit the 5/8" end if you want to use my method   
;D