idle rpms?

Started by vision_chris, May 31, 2005, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vision_chris

My Vision idles at about 1,300 RPM after I start it and turn off the choke.  After I ride around for 15 minutes or so, it'll idle at between 2 and 3,000 RPM. From other posts I've read here, it sounds like 1,300 is right where it should be.  Any ideas as to why the RPMs increase?  And is that high of an RPM level necessarily a bad thing?//

One other thing, I've been wondering how I can get more light besides just putting a higher wattage bulb in.  Has anyone ever tried mounting some sort of fog lights on their bike?  Is it even feasable?  Would it be legal?

chris

Lucky

you need to ritchen up the mixture a bit, turn the pilot screws in 1/4 turn or so, play with it
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

you can add fog/driving lights as long as they only come on with the high beams, & are aimed properly.  be sure your charging system is in good shape

corwin

My Vision has currently fog lights (2), they were already mounted when i bought my bike, but now i want to change them. The main problem is that the reflector doesn`t aim the light beam well and in the dark it is like riding in the "bag". Perhaps you find some better one and then it may work well, but i thought to use lights from other bike...

Corwin

Walt_M.

Quickest and easiest way to better night Vision is a better designed Halogen bulb. It doesn't necessarily have to be all that high wattage to give better light. Sad to say, the stock Vision bulb, though it is Halogen, leaves a lot to be desired.
Whale oil beef hooked!

redxz550inoz

so, if I'm having the reverse problem (idle speed dropping as bike is warming up) I need to turn pilot screws out a tad?

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on May 31, 2005, 10:40:15 PM
you need to ritchen up the mixture a bit, turn the pilot screws in 1/4 turn or so, play with it

As I recall, turning the screws IN decreases the amount of fuel in the fuel / air mixture.  This is what I thought was "leaning" the mixture.

If that is true, then turning the screws OUT gives you a richer mixture by allowing more fuel past the pilot screws.

The lean mixture not only leads to lower idle speeds when warm, but the engine will tend to run hotter as well.

Don't mean to cause any confusion, just want to make sure our terminology is straight.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

fog lights are legal,and not expensive.
go to wal-mart, buy a set of 29.00 lights,
mount the bulb up front so that it turns with the tire.
run a power wire from low beam headlight power wire, but add in a 10 amp fuse in a holder .
run this directly to the light.
run ground wire back to where you want to mount a switch, splice the switch in to the ground wire, then find solid grounding point for the wire.
    LOW beam is only legal way to run a fog light, at least in lower 48- even the mounting instructions point it out .
          side note-- you only need one of those bulbs, leaving one for quick sale to another rider for use on his/her ride .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

H2, I mispoke actually. what the pilot screw adds or reduces is mixture.  fuel & air already mixed.  so your not really richening or leaning out the mix, more like fattening it up...

h2olawyer

Thanks for the clarification, Lucky.  It now makes sense to me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.