.Dropped it yesterday, you should too!

Started by Seanie Free-V, May 23, 2004, 06:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanie Free-V

I put on some new tires and went one size up on the front to match the one size up in the rear.  When I took it out for the first ride after the tire change I was disappointed with how it slowed down to flickability of the bike (although it did improve the in corner feel a lot).  

So I decided to try a simple handleing mod to try and improve it.  I dropped the forks in the triple clamps.  I settled a .800 inch drop.

Let me tell you, it made a great improvement in how the bike handles and feels.  It feels like a more solid, sporty bike now.

How some other people try out this 5 minute mod and tell me what they think.

Dave T.

I have my forks raised in the triple clamps . ?I did it about a year ago. I raised them about .6". I was thinking of lowering them back to flush with the handlebars, because it pushes a little in the corners and is a little unstable. After watching my Dad ride my V I seen that it looks like someone ran into a brick wall with it. The front wheel is so close to the front, not really extended.

I have the rear spring at the stiffest setting, but those spindly front forks I think are causing the unstable feeling. 1983's have air adjustable front forks. I was thinking of going to 20W fork oil up front, but I don't think I can get the top caps off the forks, unless I welded up a special "wrench" to loosen them up.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Riche

Dave

What I have is a 1 1/2" long piece cut from a 17mm allen wrench. A 17mm socket on that will do the job. If you don't want to buy a 17mm allen wrench just try a bolt with a 17mm head. If you put that into your fork cap and use a pipe wrench on the bolt it should give you the leverage to remove the cap. That is if you don't have the orgional tool kit. It has a piece in it with a 17mm hex. you can use that if it is sturdy enough to loosen your caps. Someone in the forum posted saying that is what they use.

Humber

just install air caps in your fork caps... easy and works great
nie ma podpis?w

Walt_M.

The 17mm Allen wrench is the same one needed to remove the oil drain plug in a Volkswagon Beetle. Should be pretty common, I got mine from Sears.
Whale oil beef hooked!