what fork springs should I go for?

Started by louthepou, April 25, 2005, 10:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louthepou

Hi everyone,

I know we've discussed the fork spring issue before on numerous occasions, but I do have a few specific aspects that convinced me to start this new string.

I'm in the process of putting an 83 front end on an 82. In the process, I have to choose what will go inside the forks. I do have a set of 83 springs that have some 30,000 miles on them. I also have a set of 82 springs with less than 6,000 miles. Which should I use?

Depending on that choice, should I cut down or leghten the spacers that go on top of the spring? What weight of oil? Air pressure?

Thanks all forks experts for input. I have next Friday off... guess what I'll be doing!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Lou, the best thing to do is keep the 82 front end, and send the 83 front end to me... I will dispose of it for you  ;D
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

Walt_M.

You should probably keep the '83 springs in it. There aren't enough miles on them to matter much and they are 1 year newer. If you think you need more spring, add a couple of pounds of air. I weigh 220 and use 6 psi in mine.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Louis -

I generally agree with Walt's suggestion.  My only comment would be to check the spring length specs in the Haynes or Yamaha manual.  If the 83s are too far out of spec., I'd probably use the 82s or maybe make some longer spacers - enough to compensate for the lost length.

The 83 springs are better & more progressive than the 82s.  As for fork air pressure, I'm about the same size as Walt & use 8psi in mine.  (about 0.5 bar)  I'm running Bel-Ray 15wt. fork oil (same weight as factory recommends).  Rick_G and some others feel that is a bit stiff & use ATF with good results instead.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Thanks guys, I really appreciate.

Louis