News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Wiring in clock & voltmeter, need help

Started by QBS, December 28, 2003, 05:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Am installing a BMW R100RS clock and voltmeter.  I've got the wiring for the clock, its light, and the voltmeters' light figured out.  But I'm not sure about the voltmeter it self.  Should its power source be switched or unswitched?  Does it demand its' own dedicated hot source?  It would be easiest to run it off the same unswitched hot source that the clock uses, but I'm concerned that running it unswitched would put a constant draw on the battery that would run it flat.

Gurus, your consensus please.  Cheers.

Lucky

Assuming your still with the stock fuse box, tap off the brown wire going INTO the signal fuse, or at the other end of this, the brown wire comming out of the key switch.  you should put an inline fuse, I'm running a 10A.  the oter side of the meter can be grounded to the frame, I ran my ground under the right coil mounting bolt.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

I'd go switched.  If it's a digital voltmeter the current draw will be negligible, in the milliwatt range, but better safe than sorry.
Rob

QBS

Lucky, thank you for your instant response.  It would seem that your instuctions would provide either a switched hot(coming out of the ignition switch), or an unswitched(going into the signal fuse) hot.  What about the potential for constant draw from an unswitched source?

Lucky

The brown wire is switched. the red wire from the battery goes to the main fuse & then the key switch. the brown wire in the key switch only is powered when the key is in the 'on' position. i'd never hook up a meter to an unswitched source.
the brown from the key switch runs to the headlight, signal & ignition fuses. the main fuse is allways hot
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Got it!  Thanks go to you and Rob Tex for your excellent help and very  prompt response.  After I get it all installed and operative, I'll give everybody a full report.  I'm really excited about my '83 mounting solution. Cheers.

Rick G

Mine is taped into the wire going to the dimmer switch , its switched of coarse , and is available at the front of the bike .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike