News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Insurance Info

Started by h2olawyer, April 04, 2007, 03:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Well, Great Pumpkin is nearly road worthy.  I am now looking into insurance.  I've had State Farm on all my vehicles since I started driving oh, so long ago.  I'm curious as to who some of you folks use & how well you like them.  Don't need to know premiums you pay as that varies from area to area.  I'm mainly interested in how responsive they are to questions & how willingly they pay claims.  Also, if you have comprehensive and / or collision coverage, do they cover your riding gear as well?

If you don't want this info spread all over for public consumption, feel free to send me a PM or email.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) I think this has been raised before...Someone on the site once mentioned that, due to the age of our "V"s, we should shop around for an insurer who will give us a break on a twentyfive year's young ride :o... 8)   Vintage insurance... ???

;) I'll be shopping around in the next few month's... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

BREWSKI

H20,Check Progressive,They are prompt to answer,quick to quote,and reasonable. Brewski....
GEORGE BATES

Night Vision

I got State Farm for the Vision et al,
for the V it was $84 a year with comprehensive ($250 deductable)

I think it went down to $74?

no claims on the V (nok nok on wood), they were great when my 16 yr. old daughter took the family van and pushed my boat from the garage into the family room...she was only five and it was a Ram Van afterall..  :D

the boy in St. Pete got his R6 paid off .... don't ask  >:(

overall, can't complain  :)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rob_OS23

If you find cheap insurance for for Ontario riders Tiger, let me know. If my insurance was $75, I'd already have it on the road  :)
I'll be 26 in a couple of months & my insurance is about $750 a year

Sable

I'm using USAA right now.... I have no complaints, and their rates are very reasonable, never had a claim thoguh. Can't wait until next year when I get the antique registration for the V. ;D

John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

kwells

I use Dairlyand Insurance...out of WI

Vision last year was 102 (liability)

and another 400/yr on the sprint but have full coverage and some add on stuff too

no claims yet sorry
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Progressive has been excellent with me.  (thank goodness though I don't have any MC claims experience with them...just cars)

David

I like the cultured little lizard though.  May switch to geico just because of him.  Hell, even a caveman can do it.

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

Like Sable, I have USAA. I made a deer strike claim on my truck and they were extremely responsive. The deer HIT ME at 10pm. The adjuster was at my house the next morning a 9am. My truck was in the shop by 3pm. I didn't get it back for a week and a half. That was the shop's fault.

I was ready to do battle with them over hitting vs. being hit but they didn't question anything.

I used to have Gieco. They weren't as responsive when I made a claim on a rear end hit on my motorcycle. I was hit from the rear at a toll booth on I-95. I called Gieco that evening and had to leave a message. It took 2 days to get an adjuster to look at it. They had me take the bike 18 miles away to Virginia Beach for repair. I passed several motorcycle shops including the largest shop in the Hampton Roads area along the way. Very inconvenient!

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate the input.  I was mainly curious if there was anything I might like better than State Farm.  The current V policy runs $84 per year.  Will most likely stick with them.  They've always been good to me.  Was just curious if a company who had more of a specialization in motorcycle insurance might be better.

Haven't talked with my State Farm agent yet but will see him soon.  My truck could use a new windshield - got heavily pitted  when a truck hauling sand merged onto the interstate & the wind was howling.  He had a cover for the load, but it wasn't unrolled.   >:(  Now, driving into the sun gets pretty annoying.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

i have  been using geico since 1984, have never had any problems with them, and i get discounts up the ying yang for longevity membership too.
i do not have any charged accidents, and no tickets, i keep my motorcycle training up ,and defensive driving refreshers up to date. so those add up to some serious discounts

i think for a new policy, liability only on a vision, if you have motorcycle safety course - is less than 120.00 per year .

i currently have 3 cars, my truck,2 motorcycles and my boat on one policy ,(same since 1984) and i pay less than 400.00 per year for full coverage, 50.00 deductable with  glass and vandalism riders .
   i think that is due to longevity of the policy,and no claims filed.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

years ago I had a terrible time with GEICO when one of their 16yr old drunk drivers hit us head on on New Years Eve.

GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company and boy howdy did they act like it. I'd be talking to an adjuster and as soon it was 5:00pm the phone goes dead.. not hung up, just walked away because his day was over.... Then they said the car wasn't worth anything because it had a baseball sized dent on the rear fender... "Listen a$$whole... our car is totaled...they had to pull the fricking cars apart with tow trucks... don't tell me about a dent in the rear fender"

maybe they're better now that cavemen and lizzards are running the show.
;D

Brian_Matthewson

For Ontario riders only, www.daltontimmis.com has special vintage rates (bikes 25 years and over).
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

BREWSKI

GEORGE BATES

Night Vision

;D

hfarley

Like others I have USAA. I haven't had a claim yet thank goodness but from everything that I have heard they are pretty good at responding to claims quickly and fairly. Good luck on your insurance hunt!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

archangelof2003

For what it's worth...

I was a Service Manager for a Dealer in my area for a year (don't ask me how I ended up in that job!) and I can tell you that the Progressive insuranse adjusters were the best to work with.  Don't know anything about rates but GEICO was the worst to deal with ( out of around 50 ins. claims in the year) and would never want to have to make a claim.  What it comes down to is make sure you have a good relationship with your AGENT because they actually have some pull with the adjusters.  The adjusters have to do an estimate as soon as they can (usually within 36-48 hours) and they don't know anythjing about bikes because cars are their forte'.  I can't count the times an estimate came back to me with "JC WHITNEY METRICS" listed as their source for parts!  Just stand your ground and DON'T LET THEM SCREW YOU if it's not your fault. 

Just one mans opinion...
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."

h2olawyer

I've pretty much decided to stay with State Farm.  Nobody has been able to give me a low enough quote to make me change.  I've been happy with them & I've now had 3 different agents since I started with them in 1976.  They keep retiring!  Had a few minor claims in my teens but nothing except a couple windshields since.  Not to worry - I know when to make a stand & when to let it slide when it comes to dealing with insurance companies.  Besides, with these bikes, this forum & eBay are about the only sources for parts - if I was worrying about comprehensive or collision coverage - which I'm not since the bike isn't worth that much $$.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.  Much appreciated.

H2O