Where to buy jets?

Started by Evan, August 29, 2007, 07:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan

Wanted to update the jets on the 82 Vision -- ended-up ordering the wrong ones from DennisKirk.
Wrong ones: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=1725100&store=Main&catId=413&productId=p1725100&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Any suggestions where to order online?  Have not found a local dealer/shop that carries things like this, even though Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA!!

Thanks.

h2olawyer

My local yamaha dealer has boxes of jets.  Ten to twenty of each size & type - last I checked, a couple years ago.  I just go in with the ones I want to replace & they get them out of their box in just a few seconds.  $3 - $5 each.  Maybe a little expensive for what they are, but when you include shipping, they're competitive with any mail order / internet store.  You might ask at the parts counter of your nearest Yamaha dealer.  Just write down the sizes and take one in with you so you get the right type.  Dealers aren't ALL bad.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

it would also be helpful to know what jets and sizes you are trying to "update" so members can advise whether the sizes you are looking for are available or suitable.....

a 100 main jet is quite far from the 122.5/127.5 (82 front and rear ) or 130/130 (83) main jets
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Evan.  IMHO and 58 years of Houston residency, Ks' Yamaha in Humble is the best service and parts dealer in our area.  They have two mechanics there that were working on Yamahas before there was a Vision. That would be Steve and Frank.  The Parts Manager is John Rich.  He fits the same description.  These guys have known me and my '83 for 24 years.  John is really excellent.  All these guys ride and have raced.

Don't bother talking to any of the other parts counter personnel.  They are the classic, "Whats a Vision?"....."Yamaha never made a bike called a Vision", squids.

I'll be touch soon, I promise.

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Evan

A further question - are the 122.5/127.5 Main Jets "KEIHIN Main Jets (screw-in type)"?  I thought they were Mikuni, but some pictures I found look more like Keihin.

Night Vision

go here and look about halfway down the page

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-fuel_system.php?category_id=4.5

the wrong ones you ordered from DK were the N100/604 type

pretty sure you want the N102/221 type

just be carefuel  :D   I have seen jets that don't have the sizes stamped on them... genuine Mikuni jets will have the size stamped on them

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

http://www.psep.biz/store/ordering_info.htm

they are the cheapest I have found outside of one place, but they arent much cheaper and come in sets of 4 only....
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Evan

I was reading one post from 2002 (which I cannot seem to find), and now that I can tell which are the correct screws to play with, I want to make sure I have the 82 Vision's carb setup correctly (very very soon to be sold to my friend who has now taken the riding course...).  I have annotated some pictures to make sure I know which pieces are which, and to help all the other newbies who decided the first carb to rebuild would be a vision's (apparently the most difficult carb around according to the boys at the local stealer).  In the picture, the Main Fuel Jets are behind the bolts, not the bolts themselves.

Front Main Air Jet - should it be 130 or 135?
Rear Main Air Jet - should it be 130 or 135?
Front Main Fuel Jet - 122.5
Rear Main Fuel Jet - 127.5
Front Pilot 2.5 CCW from lightly seated
Rear Pilot 4.25 CCW from lightly seated

What is the procedure for adjusting the Pilot screws?  How do you know when it is correct?  When I did the full cleanup on these carbs 1.5 years ago, I did not not what they were, and the manual just says - "do not adjust".  I did manage to put over 100 miles with the pilot screws "lightly seated" :)

Also, what do you put on the hose connectors so they come off a little easier (grease?)?

Final question, I took off the "CARBURETOR JOINT", and according to the parts diagrams there should be a "MANIFOLD GASKET", but mine did not.  It seemed to have some red stuff (and some silver stuff around the bolts).  They seem to be OK, what should I use to put them back together?

Night Vision - those one's on the mikesxs website look correct, so I order some.  Thanks.

Tried to upload the pictures here - but it complained!!!
TOP: http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x295/been17/?action=view&current=82_Vision_Carbs_top_anotated.jpg
SIDE: http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x295/been17/?action=view&current=82_Vision_Carbs_side_anotated.jpg

h2olawyer

If you have the modified (vacuum flapper) airbox, you want the 135 air jets.  You probably want them even with the original type flapper.  The manifold gasket goes between the carb boots & the head.  Either clean the area up well & order new gaskets or use a high temp, fuel resistant sealer.  Personally, I prefer using the gaskets.

When adjusting the pilot screws, 2.5 & 4.5 turns from lightly seated is merely the starting point.  The bike should start, run & idle at those settings, but you will need to fine tune them from that point.  Turn one screw CCW until bike runs rough.  Turn that same screw CW until it runs rough.  (It will smooth out between each extreme.)  Set the screw 1/2 way between those points & give it a little extra CCW turn.  Repeat for the other carb.  Then, check / set the synch.

A little petroleum jelly helps hoses slide off & on a bit easier.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

and a spoon full of sugar....nevermind....
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com