Pick-ups Ohm out of specs

Started by Lucky, September 26, 2007, 03:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I've been chasing a problem all year now & i THINK i found it. & i'm not thrilled...  but i need thoughts from the electrical guru's:

for a while now the bike has had a problem where it feels as if the ignition instantanously 'cuts out' for a fraction of a second.  it's a little worse if the bike is hot, & electrical loads really bring it on: at idle, fan, hedlights & siganals all going, 12.5+ on the voltmeter & the bike can die. (bringing the idle up helps cause it raises the voltage)

i've put a new battery in yesterday, (was thinking open cell) swapped out R/R's & TCI, cleaned & greased connectors, double checked my bastard electrical mods.

today i did the Hanes Ohm test for the pick-ups.

specs: 99-121 Oms
(note: my meter reads 5 Ohms high)
on bike: 145.1 (really 140.1)
spare set on bench: 124.5 (really 119.5)
spare set still mounted in an old cover: 125.7ish (really 120.7ish)

so here is my question:
my pickups are clearly out of specs, but do those of you more knowlagable than me feel this could truly be the cause of my problem?

Sigh, sidecover gasket, (Cometic i hope) oil, and might as well do a stator, here i come.

Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fiat-doctor

Hi Lucky,
Possibly, but I doubt it.  That doesn't sound TOO high to me.  Think of it as a big length of wire wrapped around a steel support.  It has a certain resistance because of it's length and it's diameter.  There is no good reason for it to increase it's resistance with age....  it might break and be open, but much more likely that the insulation would fail and the coils would short together and LOWER the resistance.  And/or short to the metal it's wrapped around.

The pickups tell the TCI where the crank is and with the TCI when to fire....  they shouldn't have much to do with spark quality.  I don't believe they would be influenced at all by electrical loads.  Now the primary side of the ignition sure would.  Just for fun, measure the voltage at the positive side of each coil without the bike running and check that against the battery voltage.  If it's much lower, check the ignition switch and all the connectors one more time.

Steve