82 v.s. 83 performance??

Started by mdskinner731, October 04, 2007, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdskinner731

ok i was looking at a comparison to the 83 and 82 visions.. well i found out that this site says the 82 performed better than the 83???
http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=18448
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

don_vanecek

Well, we all know the 83's are very nice, but my experiance in Colorado in June is that rider experiance eliminates most of the advantage between the two years. Kwells on a stock 82 outroad everyone, go figure.

Superfly

Don't believe everything you read on the net!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Night Vision

the results probably reflect a statistically smaller sample....

( 8 ) 82  owners offered their opinions
(6) 83 owners offered theirs

but we all know 82's rule
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

It is anecdotal evidence - personal experiences of individual riders, rating it against who knows what criteria, other bikes they've ridden, etc.  To get anything near meaningful comparisons, you need to have an equal number of both years of bikes, ridden in identical conditions by good riders who ride each bike an equal amount of time.  I'd take results from that type of testing a lot more seriously than "How do you feel about this bike?" type open questions to unknown riders in different locations.

"Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics" by Michael Wheeler should be required reading for everyone.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mdskinner731

ya bikez.com isnt the best site out there for getting bike performance statistics... any one can go in there and rate any bike even if its one theyve never heard of b4.... its mainly a site to get a general idea of the kind of bike u have and some specs on it ;D
Redneck Law

Night Vision

if you like specs.... look here http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

also has new models and concepts... I check this every so often because they change the showroom changes
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

VisionMeister

It depends on what you are looking at for your performance stats. Acceleration only? Handling? Braking (or breaking)? Comfort and wind protection? or other criteria.
The 82's are lighter without the full fairing and dual discs. A good running one will probably out accelerate a good running 83.
However the state of tune of the engine and build variables can make any given bike faster or slower.
In general they are so close that its hard to tell any meaningful difference.
The 83's though have the dual discs and adjustable shock for better braking and handling. And if you are partial to lower bars and rearset pegs the 83's have those along with better wind protection.
I find that both years break about the same.

mdskinner731

what id like to kno is how my 82 (on the steering stem it says 11/81) got an 83 full farring.. not that this has anything to do with this subject but.. the guy i got the vision from bought it used in 84' and it was on there.. the dealer ship didnt kno any thing about it as to how it got on there but its there and i have it so i guess i cant complain ;D
Redneck Law

QBS

h2olawyer

In an effort to build sales, Yamaha made the fairing kit available to dealerships in late 82.  Some may have even been shipped with them already installed.  When I bought my 82 new in 84, (for $1300) the dealer said there was one Star Silver fairing kit still available.  It added something like $500 - $600 to the price, so I went with the Shark fairing & case guards for under $200.  I've since added the full fairing, low risers & other 83 bits.  The cost is well under $500 so far.  The professional paint job I'll be putting on this winter will change that in a hurry, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

mdskinner731

uhh my farring is blue and it has hand painted light blue and silver pin stripes on it.. here take a look>>>
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g318/mdskinner731/?action=view&current=e1f2cb2b.pbw
Redneck Law

kiawrench

well,, all i can say is,,, once you get time to rework a few things, that can very well be a great looking ride.

i have had the pleasure of owning a bit of both, and have seen no real difference in performance.

both will run as hard and as fast as you are willing to crash.

i could say more, but then, i ramble enough already

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Custom, aftermarket paint.  May have added the fairing when they painted it.  Will look great when you've finished fixing it up!

H2O

kwells

i wasnt totally stock...did add the 83 rear mono, new pads, progressive springs, and 15wt fork oil as well as the best rubber I could find.  Still FEELS stock compared to a modern bike but I think it has some better handling and braking than the stock 82.  I can however say that I am very surprised how hard you can push a V without any problems.  Only think I would like to fix is the frame flex that shows itself when pushing it hard in a fast sweeper and catching slight bumps. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

15wt fork oil is the stock weight.  Haven't done the Progressive Springs - yet.  The 83 rear shock is light years ahead of the 82 & an aftermarket shock is probably the same improvement over the 83.

Finding places to add gussets to the Vision frame could be difficult since the engine is part of the frame.  Would need to take the right side removable piece into account so you could still remove the engine when necessary.

H2O

Rick G

You do have some work ahead of you , but it will be worth it Too bad you can't salvage the paint job on the tank  . Its a very nice paint job.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

That is low miles!  good find.
" border="0

QBS

RE: '82 vs. '83:  I have always run my '83 with its full fairing installed, Except one time.  Was doing some work on the bike that nessessitated removing the fairing but not disabling the bike.  Normally, the bike will never lift the front wheel under full throttle no matter which gear is selected.  So, imagine my surprise when I nailed it in second gear on a local on ramp only to find I couldn't lean into the turn because the front wheel was in the air.  I suspect that the bike would be a lot more fun to ride on shorter trips without the weight of the fairing.  But then, it wouldn't be worth a damn as sport tourer.  With the fairing, it is a wonderful sport touring bike.  That's why it so many miles on it.

Lucky

Actually it will lift the front wheel with the fairing on, but i don't reccomend it, pretty hard on the plastics:

a few years ago i was rebuilding a set of 82 carbs for a visionary (don't remember who) and i took the bike down the street for a test run.  i turned around and started back on a straight run to the house & somehow ended up having my hand slip off the clutch & hitting the gas pretty hard. i had the presence of mind to ease on the rear brake but it still came down awefully hard.  i then did it a time or two more to see if it was a fluke.  i could lift it in first & second, but i guess i'm not great at smooth landings, so no more of that for me.

this spring i took DaveTn's bike out for a short run after adjusting his carbs, & with his sport fairing the whole bike just felt really light.  made me want a second vision just naked to thrash around on.  i came around the corner at home where he was waiting & unintentionaly scraped a peg.  i saw his eyebrows go up from 60 feet away, lol!  :o
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black