How do we count turns?

Started by Coil Coyle, October 13, 2007, 08:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

People,

I wanted to think out a reasonable way to count turns as I drove the "Beachmobile" from Glendville, Ca. to Wooford Heights, Ca. to pick up JimE_XZ's 83 for the last CROV ride. I decided that I would consider going straight between right and left or vice versa as a countable turn. Counting the turns was then simple; after the wheel centered, the next turn could be counted when it was arrived at.

With that algorithm as my guide I counted 300 turns on that 22 mile section. There were many examples of stretches of road that had three and several with four or more separate apexes before the steering wheel was straightened out and another turn could be counted.

I mentioned the criteria for my count to Ron_McCoy and he had also arrived at that idea as a valid turn count on another road he had counted. I am curious about the criteria that is used to count the turns on the "Tail of the Dragon" road that you all enjoy riding. Would one of you please explain how the start and end of these turns are defined?

We may be using a poor definition when counting out here in the West.

Gratefully,
;)
Coil

kiawrench

oh,, i dont know

way back when , while still in army, a few of us went to a class on proper operation of militarty tactical motorcycles, and a turn was defined as any deviation of 5 degrees or more from absolute forward.  whatever that was supposed to mean . i am still trying to find absolute forward

i would say that if the road had to vary ,due to terrain, natural or man made objects , or even a cow that would not move,, it counts as a turn.   i am sure there is a set method of determining a turn vs a "deflection" ,but i think someone else needs to define it ,, in terms we can all figure out , lmao.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

They determine it pretty basicly:
if at the start of one turn your facing one direction, & at the end of the turn your facing 180 degrees the other, that's a turn  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Theres three turns in that picture in lucky's sig line.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Ron_McCoy

Looks like one turn and a wiggle.     ;D ;D ;D

ironb12s

If you need to lean the bike to get through without running out of shoulder, it is a turn.

Absolute forward?  The normal direction of travel before deflection.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on October 14, 2007, 09:12:39 AM
........if at the start of one turn your facing one direction, & at the end of the turn your facing 180 degrees the other, that's a turn  :)

'round here, that's called a U-turn  .....

and when you do two of those in a row ..... a circle ;) 

a turn is simply a change in direction from absolutley straight... only because;
you can absolutley turn going in reverse.....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

It'd be a U-turn if you wanted to go back to where you came from. on that road your making a u-turn to get to where your going  ;)

--Lucky

ironb12s

Suffice it to say that a turn is any deviation from the straight and narrow that the bike wants to travel at speed.  If it requires inputs at the handlebars, footpegs or tank, it's a turn.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on October 15, 2007, 06:21:54 AM
It'd be a U-turn if you wanted to go back to where you came from. on that road your making a u-turn to get to where your going  ;)

--Lucky

'round here we call that a "switchback"... even though, 'round here we don't have any switchbacks...  :'(

down south, they may use another name for the 180 deg. u-turn..... a "Youby".... you be go'in the other way   ;)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

switchback is correct, hairpin will also suffice
if my wife is driving the Caravan over the Dragon, i just call them "Dear God!"s (yep, she's got a pink Dragon sticker on the back window)

inanecathode

I call em snow snakes, go to hell and back, and switchback turns.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Coil Coyle

Quote from: DaveTN on October 14, 2007, 06:07:48 PM
Theres three turns in that picture in lucky's sig line.  ;D

David
OK,
        The road from Glenville to Wooford Heights, although it is not a particularly twisty road for the area, has between 900 and 1000 turns in 22 miles.
Thanks for the clarification.
:)
Coil

Lucky

When i'm riding, i'm not counting turns, i'm having fun.  if it's one turn, but i'm with friends, it may as well be 1000 turns!  :D

--Lucky

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on October 16, 2007, 09:59:34 AM
When i'm riding, i'm not counting turns, i'm having fun.  if it's one turn, but i'm with friends, it may as well be 1000 turns!  :D

--Lucky

;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

I normally count turns numerically - 1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . . etc.  There may be a different method, but this one seems to work well & can be understood by most folks because using numbers to label things has become relatively standardized over time.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Personally if I don't have to lean much/any I just consider it a curve rather than a turn (although some curves can still be fun).  If it's a solid turn or a curve I have to lean into I'd consider that a turn.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

visionless

If you've got time to count, you're not riding fast enough.
       Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

h2olawyer

Look at the road you're curious about on Google Earth, then count the turns from the safety of your computer.  Easy to start over if you lose  count & speed isn't a hinderance.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

Don't count the turns, take their word for it, on how many.
" border="0