New R/R Project Query..

Started by Tanno, October 25, 2007, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanno

Well, we need to get serious on the number of units to get prepped for. The engineer needs to order parts and such.

All who will order when it's availible please stand up an say "I" (Then leave a post stating that would be nice also.  ::)) Also state how many you will order.

This is the current list I have so far:

Tanno - 1
h2olawyer - 1
Night Vision - 1
Brian Moffet - 1
arfa vmax - 1
Paul@Sheffield - 1
pullshocks - 1
Aelwulf - 1
ironb12s - 2
Rick G - 1
Ron_McCoy - 2
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

did i rear correctly that this is only the rectifier part of the R/R?  if so, what do we do for a regulator? older chevy mechanical model or similar? (not trying to sound stupid, just haven't been following the posts as close as i could have...)

what are we talking for price?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tanno

It's been stated before that the main project was getting the regulator redsigned. The rectifier is the easy part to incorporate. The regulator is where the brains come in.

This will be a complete Rectifier / Regulator (r/r) -- "do it up right" unit.
Price has not been nailed yet. It should be $200 or under.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

more than i can justify to the better half, but i really hope it works out.  if enough of you buy them, it'll lower the price of good used stockers for me  ;D ;D ;D

pullshocks

Night Vision

Tanno, I'm definitley interested , but would rather wait untill after the beta test results  come back possitive before I commit. I'm sure other folks also want to know if this "$200 or under" pill will cure their ills.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tanno

Quote from: Night Vision on October 25, 2007, 10:34:11 PM
Tanno, I'm definitley interested , but would rather wait untill after the beta test results  come back possitive before I commit. I'm sure other folks also want to know if this "$200 or under" pill will cure their ills.

Sale of the units won't be until the beta tests are done. That's what this poll is for. The units proving themselves will take time (rather - mileage).

I've made this clear to the engineer like this: "If it proves itself, it'll sell itself." We are at an understanding. I have the utmost confidence in it, but then again....I know this engineer personally. I have absolutely no doubt in his ability and with that, he's consulted another engineer friend of his to get this done. The engineers have stated to me that they know the reputation is on the line and definately the sale of the units as well as the time invested.

The engineer has told me that at the moment, a 2-year warranty is being tossed up.
Another note: Made AND Assembled in America.

It's very hard to convey the confidence I have. I know that the proof is in the pudding. I'm just anxious and confident. These two together surely does mess with one ability to concentrate. ::)

Lucky

This is mostly tounge-in-cheek, but turn wrenches for a few years & you'll have a different view of engineers, lol  ;)

Tanno

Quote from: Lucky on October 25, 2007, 10:55:40 PM
This is mostly tounge-in-cheek, but turn wrenches for a few years & you'll have a different view of engineers, lol  ;)

Engineers are a lot like Mechanics -- No all are alike. There's two groups that I've found. Ones that give a crap and do it right. And there's the others that just rig it to get the job done - it may work, but it's just not right.

Leaning tower ring a bell?

Been there, Mitsubishi engineers don't design anything other than the american pocketbook in mind. Definately not think OF the amercian consumer. Take a look inside the Mitsubishi turbines in Tehachapi, CA. If you are bigger than 36" waist (including tools), you're not getting in the turbine.

Rick G

I'm with you Lucky, most engineeers do there best work in the john , with toilet paper.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

On price, how much will manufacture of the unit cost?  There is a market price now for the current PAJT, but that it not the desired result.  I'm in no position at the present to buy or install one of these, so I can't promise to buy one myself.  It is definitely in my future if the R/R on my Vision tests with any questions, however.

A new R/R T-shoot will be necessary, no matter what the engineers tell us.  Different type of technology will have different problems.  I don't, and I doubt that anyone else here operates on blind faith.  No, that's left for the KoolAid consumers on the LDRIDER list...   :D

Once designed, this new R/R could be applied to the GSResources as well.  That list has thousands of members, worldwide.  Once we see it in operation and it works out to be the charm, we can tell more that might be interested in an alternative to the Rick's and Electrosport offerings.  The market is there, it just needs development.   It might even be offered for sale by Dennis Kirk, or marketed thru Tucker Rocky.  In the long run, I can see getting one each for the Vision and the GS750.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tanno

This is all too well understood. So, simply put...your name has been removed.

Aelwulf

If you want add my name as I'd like to get one being one that hasn't yet relocated my R/R anyway.  The only issue I'd have is I can't 100% guarantee I'd be able to order the moment it's available.  It'll depend on budget at the time and if the AF has jacked around with my pay anymore or not (currently out $330/month for no reason that I'm fighting).  I'd also probably be placing the order at the beginning of a month, so if it comes out middle or end it won't be first thing.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tanno

That's okay. I'm not asking for IMMEDIATE Ordering. I'm only asking for the one's that seriously would place an order after this is ready to go.

You see, if we only get 10 ready to sell for the moment and 13 people want one now. We'd be short.
On the other hand, if 18 people want one asap, then we'll get 25 of them ready.

Get it? We need to know, because parts cost money also, and I don't need more x-mas ornamints. ;D

Lucky

On the contrary, used up XZ parts have traditionaly been used on Chanukkah bushes for thousands of years, in fact Kia has his own personal Tree of Shame...   ;D ;D ;D

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on October 26, 2007, 06:43:26 AM
...own personal Tree of Shame...   ;D ;D ;D

??? Don't we all ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pullshocks

If you had a big testing budget, the thing to do would be to put one on H2O's bike and send him off on a tour of the southern USA

George R. Young

The point of this modification is to protect the stator, right? Would the warranty be on the stator? Or just the new regulator?

h2olawyer

Quote from: pullshocks on October 26, 2007, 09:49:23 AM
If you had a big testing budget, the thing to do would be to put one on H2O's bike and send him off on a tour of the southern USA

;D  Would be fun to take a long tour.  Let's see, head SW.  Go through Monument Valley, visit the Kingman, AZ & So Cal visionaries, then across to New Mexico, on to Houston, TX, then over to the Fla. panhandle & on up to Myrtle Beach, So. Carolina.  Could visit many of the southern contingent & wear out a couple sets of tyres.

Anybody got a spare few thousand $$ so I can afford it?  Figure three to four weeks of motels, meals, snacks, fuel, tyres, miscellaneous parts, a couple oil & filter changes, etc.  Maybe I could even write it up as a motorcycle adventure story & sell it to one of the magazines.  However, none of them would likely take it since it wouldn't be 'selling' a new bike along the way.   ::)

Send donations to:

I NEED YOUR $$
PO BOX 7734
East Tincup, Colorado

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com