News:

Main Menu

Winter Up-Grade's...

Started by Tiger, December 09, 2007, 06:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Decided to install a couple of up-grade's to "The Mistress" to-day... 8)

1 - '83 rearset rider foot peg's.
A couple of week's ago, I drilled out the pin's that hold the foot rest's onto the bracket's and seperated them. I had the bracket's fine sand blasted and I repainted them with: a couple of coat's of red oxide primer and then a couple of coat's of an industrial grade black gloss. I removed the '82 set which have, (installed last year), a set of Yamaha Venture foot rests fitted, removed the pin's, cleaned up the footrest's and installed them in the recently painted bracket's. I used new universal clevis pin's, cut to length and installed hairpin cotter's... 8)

With the '83 rearset's now installed, a couple of other up-grade's need to be fitted... ;)

2 - '83 gear shift adjuster rod.
The installation of the rearset's brings the footrest's back approx' 3"...The '82 gear shift adjusting rod is short and has to be changed out for an '83, which is several inches longer. The gear shift mechanism has now been refitted, with new lock nut's and a new gear shift shaft locking bolt, and set at a lower angle.

3 - Rear Brake Pedal.
Again, because the rearset's bring your feet backward's from the '82 position, the '82 brake pedal was swapped out for an '83 unit. The pedal adjustment bolt was replaced with a new one and a new lock nut fitted, I also replaced the brake pedal shaft locking bolt. Side Note: The adjuster bolt fit's onto the the footbracket on an '83 rearset, instead of the pedal of an '82.

Installation and all the required adjustment's completed, all in an hour 'ish... ;) Looks and feel's really good. Now I just have to be patient for three or four month's and wait for the snow's to go away so I can tell you how the new set up handle's ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Thanks go out to: N_V and Lil'Blaster... 8)

??? Wot are you doing during this winter down period... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

louthepou

Quote from: Tiger on December 09, 2007, 06:39:34 PM

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Well, besides hoping to work a little bit on the yellow vision (now two years into it - still some carb work, tighten the steering head...), I'm hoping to bring back to it's original, WW1 look a 1916 Lee Enfield No1 Mk3* that I acquired a few weeks ago. It'll need some work, and a few key parts (new buttstock, hand guards, forearm, bayonet, etc...) I have two other Lee Enfields I can shoot with and bring around in the woods, so I might as well work on the third one and make it a nice display item (that still can shoot though, 'cause that's what it was suppose to do!) (Sounds like what we could say about Visions, isn't it?)

Then, there's my neighbour's 1986 Ski-Doo that needs a new track, a new ski, lots of Tremclad anti-rust paint... new vinyl on the seat... I think that's it...

:)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Brian Moffet

I'm going to try and ride more (okay, some...)  ;D

Night Vision

wait a second.... you now have rearset floorboards  ???  ;D ;D

keep an eye on them, I've seen most of the wear on the front side of the peg rubbers on normal rearsets....

here's a link to the shifter rod Tiger was taking about..... the oem ones can be added to the list of nolongeravailable parts.

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=186

The TR6-150 M6 x 1.0 x 150 is the one. oem ones listed at $15 if you could get one.
The S&H is a little high, I think it was like $12. The more you buy, the cheaper per piece.. buy 5... they make great Christmas presents  ;)

I'm going skiing  :) :)
and hopefully get the project bike assembled  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Winter is playtime.  Skiing at Steamboat, Winter Park & Snowy Range with maybe a trip to Snowbird / Alta (Utah) or Jackson Hole (Wyoming).

As for Visions:

Silver V -- complete 83 fuel system changeover, new paint (OEM Star Silver), new tyres.  (find a right 83 rider peg!)

Tractor -- repair from last Summer's mishap - swap forks with partsbike, repair turning stop thingie on frame neck, repaint (likely OEM Brilliant Red, new rubber bits, new mirrors, new turn signals, new tyres, tapered steering bearings & a refurbished tank.  Hopefully have it ready to sell by May.

Partsbike -- complete teardown.  May have a line on a titled frame to get it all back on the road & legal.  If so, that bike will become trackbike.  Paint likely grey primer or possibly camoflauge by spray can.  Nothing involving much $$.  Will likely wait until Tractor sells to get that project rolling.  It will need basically everything . . .  ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gregs656

I'm going skiing . . . probably wont have time to do much else to be honest  ::)

except riding the bike, of course. Will probably spend a few evenings fixing that up, planned with a friend of mine to take a ride down the coast if the weather holds out and we think the bikes can make it  8) It would be a 540ish mile round trip. Tempted though!

Tiger

Quote from: gregs656 on December 10, 2007, 04:23:00 AM
I'm going skiing . . .

??? In Bognor Regis... ??? :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You must be going north of the border or Europe mate. England doesn't get enough snow to build a decent snowman... ;)...unless your going "Manmade"...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

gregs656

Man made  :o And most defiantly not in bognor, snow to them is half a centimetre.

no i'll be going to France, a resort called La Plagne, been going back there for probably 6-7 years now with the family, my mum broke her knee last year - hopefully we will have a better week this year  8)

Tiffanator

Winter... Down... Period? Uhm... what's winter? Its in the upper 70s here today, I was sweating putting up Christmas decorations Saturday and Sunday. Let me see... I'm going to.. um... KEEP RIDING!  ;D Oh.. and trying to get the Vision running.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

mdskinner731

well..
1. get the vision rebuilt..
2. find a person that has an enduro for sale/trade and try to get rid of my gs550.. i like the bike and all but i think an enduro would better suit me
3. fix my four wheeler(s)
4. fix my three wheeler
5. rebuild 2 honda shadows  >:(
and the list goes on..
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

louthepou

Quote from: mdskinner731 on December 10, 2007, 03:14:57 PM
well..
1. get the vision rebuilt..
2. find a person that has an enduro for sale/trade and try to get rid of my gs550.. i like the bike and all but i think an enduro would better suit me
3. fix my four wheeler(s)
4. fix my three wheeler
5. rebuild 2 honda shadows  >:(
and the list goes on..

(Wife): Lou, I can't believe you're still in the garage. What now, the lawn tractor's flaberdeeklonk isn't doing it's thing the way it should, so you're gizmorkling it?

(Lou): It's therapy, dear. There are many people like me, I know it's hard to believe. Hey, wait a minute, you could just log on to the ROV Forum, you could see... there's this guy, mdskinner, he's got it bad too he's a cool guy and does a lot of repairs for fun, just like me...

(Wife): Nice try. I'll be dead before I take a look at your support group.

(Lou): Well, at least I tried...

:)
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

gregs656

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiffanator on December 10, 2007, 12:47:49 PM

Winter... Down... Period? Uhm... what's winter? Its in the upper 70s here today, I was sweating putting up Christmas decorations Saturday and Sunday. Let me see... I'm going to.. um... KEEP RIDING!  ;D Oh.. and trying to get the Vision running.

Yup,

Same here. Low 70's with a warm breeze blowing today and supposed to be partly cloudy and mid 70's tomorrow.  I want a stinkin blizzard or two.  I don't want to have to mow my lawn all winter again like I did last year.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

mdskinner731

ya it seems i alwas have things to work on.. at times it gets frustrating and i just wanna go and buy all new "toys" but if i had new, i wouldnt have any thing to do.. id be bored all the time..
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

h2olawyer

We just got through with snow on Friday & Saturday.  About 5 inches total.  Roads weren't too bad - except for Friday night when we had a mix of snow, freezing rain & 30 MPH winds.  Today got into the mid 30s (F) Supposed to get some more snow tonight & tomorrow.  At least I have the snow thrower to play with in the winter!  Spent today running all over town looking for a new fuel shutoff valve.  Finally had to order one.  Should be here in a few days.  Going to rob the fuel line & inline valve from partsbike to use as a temporary measure until the OEM Toro (Tecumseh) parts arrive.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

pullshocks

Mountain biking, woodworking, a little skiing.

Vision-wise.....

Starter bolts
POR15
SS brake lines & go through calipers and master
Roller bearing headset
Blade fuse box and go through wiring
Volt meter
Valve adjust  (is this as hard as it looks?)
Progressive springs?
Touch up paint on frame
Brackets  for bungee cord
Fiberglass repair on fairing lowers
Home made heater vent latch

Whew.  My head is spinning

Brian Moffet

Quote from: pullshocks on December 11, 2007, 12:23:44 AM
Valve adjust  (is this as hard as it looks?)

Someone suggested using a small magnet on a flxible rod to pull the valve shims should you need to.  After having done the valve adjust myself, I wish I had thought of that before hand!  It's a tight fit, but you can measure, pull and replace the shims with the special tool (which I borrowed.) 

Some people also recommend lifting the cams to pull the shims.  I didn't do that either, and it seems a little risky to me.

Here's a posting from someone who asked a similar questions:  http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=5879.0

Brian

inanecathode

New distributor
Valve adjustment
Oil change
Complete interior restoration

Oh, you meant vision stuff? Too many to list :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

haunter

here its all ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE

i need a non icy night to ride my beater FZR600 from my friends garage its sleeping in, to my other friends garage it will be living in

so I can swap the intake boots and adjust the idle, get fresh gas and slap the plate on it

so my buddy can ride it for a while(his bike is down for repairs) and we can sort it out so it runs good before we take it apart to put into a FZR400 frame to make a great play toy.

oh yeah

tile the parents new shower setup with my dad.........

rewire some stuff on my FZR1k

buy parts for the 400...........
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Rick G

Adjusting the valves on a vision is a pain below the lower back. Its easy on the bench ,but in the bike a real nightmare, for an old man with arthritic hands.(or anyone else for that matter.)
I remove the exhaust system, loosen up the radiator and remove the lower ends of the hoses, pull all but the lower rear engine mount bolt ,remove the upper mount bracket and the carbs . then jack the motor down  low enough, so that I can work. Its nuts ,but I've tried it the factory way and end up throwing wrenches around the shop.Its time I have and  patience I'm short of.
Its kind of like working on an ATV, you have to remove everything ,to get at anything.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike