quick bead blast question

Started by Blake, July 24, 2004, 08:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey..

so i took a break from the jetting and decided to get the painting done.. i went with a royal blue..and got all of the plastic pieces up to the 2nd base coat (ill do one more then clear them tomorrow)..

later this evening (right before i quit for the night) i slapped on the heav duty paint remover on the gas tank since there were scratches that were starting to rust and i needed to take it down to metal anyway..  but... i threw a little on the underside of the tank too... and afterwards didnt have much luck..apparantly theres not much paint down there..but there is a LOT of rust... i tried using the palm sander to get it off..but theres just too many curves and bumps down there... soo..

but my question.. the auto hobby shop i go to has a glass bead blasting cabinet (not sure of the size..ill find out tomorrow...)..  but i was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it would be fine to glass bead blast the underside of the tank so i can get the rust off?   or is the metal just too thin?   id definately make my life a lot easier..and also would help get those last pieces of pain off the tank.. and give me a nice new clean surface..  

but also ill be bead blasting my exhaust (the race one) because it seems to be starting to rust too..and iid like to stop it before it gets bad..and coat it with some high temp black..but it would be a lot easier to do the exhaust and tank at the same time and save a few bucks at the booth.

or is there some paint that would stop the rusting that would be good to coat the underside of the tank?

thanks.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rick G

Bead blasting won't hurt the tank, just don't over do it.  It should take the rust off in one pass anyway.  If your tank isn't POR 15'd now is the time!  I'd hit the exhaust at the same time . Just don't get any beads INSIDE the tank!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Thanks Rick..im sure the guys there will help me out with getting the right setting..  and yes, thankfully, the tank is coated... im PRETTY sure its kreem..but its been holding..and no leaks yet..  so im not to go mess with a good thing.

but man..when i emptied the gas out of the tank..there must have been a good 2 cups of water in there!  (im pretty sure it was that...when i drained it out into a big coffe can, the bottom half was all clowdy and full of soot and crap (assuming that was gas) and the top was crystal clear (water)...and the top layer definately felt like water...so we'll see..

ill definately be putting de-waterer in next time...

thanks for the help.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

Gas floats on water, so the top "layer" should have been gas.  that's why the bottom corners of the tank rust out. gas settles there while the bike is just sitting.

Your Kreem if it was applied well, should be fine, just don't use anything like Berrymans fuel injector cleaner in it.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

went and bead blasted the tank and exhaust today..  went pretty good... i kind of rushed because at 15 bucks a half hour..i knew i wasnt going to need a full hour...  but i got it all done in time..   went pretty good having only to do the underside of the tank.  however 3 holes popped up (two outsides and one on the inside by the petcock)..  i went and got some liquid metal and thats currently drying now.  but all in all definately worth the 15 bucks..

thanks for the help guys..

Blake