News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

is it wrong to paint over original color?

Started by sonoffonzie, December 13, 2011, 12:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonoffonzie

Hello All,
Merry Christmas!
I've been reading this forum for 2 years (the length of time I've owned a Vision) and found tons of help from lots of different people.
My question, is it wrong to paint over the original paint? I'd love to have it all matte black.

I've got the two-tone red & white model, but without the fairing.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/images/thumb/f/fd/1983-Yamaha-XZ-550-Vision-Red-5891-3.jpg/640px-1983-Yamaha-XZ-550-Vision-Red-5891-3.jpg

Happy Holidays.
Son of Fonzie

Tiger

:) Hello and welcome to the ROV buddy...and A Merry Christmas to you and yours...8)

'The Mistress' was a naked Star Silver '82 when I got her seven years ago...by the next season she was unveiled to the world in her new colours of Lamborghini Orange with Pearl blown in and sports a Gloss Black full fairing...The choice of colours are endless and personal, so go for it!!

I must admit that the fully faired Canadian edition Red and White is my choice of stock colour Vision's 8) Should not of sold mine after I spent 18 months rebuilding her :'( :'(

Where are you located Sono??

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Bike looks Canadian and the colors look great, bet it would look in flat black also. Welcome to ROVerland.    BDC

sonoffonzie

Hello and thanks for the welcome.
I'm in Vancouver, Canada, just a short but fun drive North of beautiful Seattle Washington.
I've always preferred the color black, for cars, helmuts, leather jackets, you name it. 
I feel my love for my Vision isn't complete until she's dressed up like Chuck Norris or Johnny Cash, all in black.
Cheers!

fret not

I think the majority of Visions were black (at least in the US), so there should be 'spare' parts around to put on your bike rather than destroy the original paint.  Maybe someone would offer to trade parts with you, just swap out the painted parts and go.  Someone will most certainly prefer the red and white scheme and you want the black.  The Canadian red and white is a clean look, and remember that black shows dirt and dust more readily than lighter colors.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Brian Moffet

It's your bike.  Do what you want with it. It can always be repainted by someone else when they buy it.

Rikugun

I agree it's your bike to do what you want but that red and white sure looks pretty!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

sonoffonzie

Thanks for your replies guys.
My Vision is stored for the winter, so I've got lots of time to mull over the whole paint-job chore.
Damn I miss riding already.
Merry Christmas,
Sono

The Prophet of Doom

It's wrong to NOT paint over the original colour.  The stuff that came with the bike is only designed to last 5 years.

Of course you have to do it with style - some paint schemes are just horrible