News:

Main Menu

new brake fluid

Started by Kevin, March 17, 2012, 08:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Rikugun

I have no experience with it but I'm curious, unless you plan on going racing and need the very high boiling points, why spend that much? 

I noticed it claims "Florida State Law Prohibts the use of BLUE brake fluid in vehicles registered for street use". I'm guessing it also causes cancer in california....  :o

Here's an intersting article on 3, 4 and 5 chemistry, compatibility, etc., etc.
http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/dot-3-dot-4-and-dot-5/
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on March 17, 2012, 10:33:13 AM
I noticed it claims "Florida State Law Prohibts the use of BLUE brake fluid in vehicles registered for street use". I'm guessing it also causes cancer in california....  :o

If it causes cancer in California, it'll cause cancer everywhere else too  ;)

Some states require particular colors for fluids used in lots of different things, the color being there to make sure that people don't mix up the different fluids.  Even the Federal Government has color coding: If you take a look at aviation fuel, 100LL is a blue color, and 82 is red.  I forget what jet fuel is because I don't use it, but the idea is that the color will protect people from accidentally mixing fluids. It could very well be that the blue color might get confused with aviation fuel?  I dunno, I have never really understood Florida politics...

Rikugun

Brian it was a joke. Haven't you ever noticed warnings (prop 65 requirement) on certain products that read "....known to cause cancer in the state of California.....?  As if it wouldn't cause cancer elsewhere is the joke. Get it?

Wasn't it you who was making recomendations on how to write a joke in another thread? Perhaps this is not a good vocation for you.....  :D  :D

BTW, that was sarcasm.  :)  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on March 17, 2012, 12:03:04 PM
Brian it was a joke. Haven't you ever noticed warnings (prop 65 requirement) on certain products that read "....known to cause cancer in the state of California.....?  As if it wouldn't cause cancer elsewhere is the joke. Get it?

Yes, I know it was a joke, sorry if my joke on the grammar was too subtle. All of the warnings I have read are not grammatically incorrect:

"Consuming foods or beverages that have been kept or served in leaded crystal products or handling products made of leaded crystal will expose you to lead - a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. "

So for better or worse I thought the grammatical error was yours.  

I do think California goes a little far on the prop 65 warnings. I mean, I half expect to see the warnings on bottles of water because people have been known to die by drinking too much water.  That's what I thought your joke was, I didn't think your joke was on the grammar.

My apologies.

The Prophet of Doom

Cancer aside. I got a bottle of brake fluid that was bright green - worked just the same as the amber stuff but with one main advantage that you can see it through a cloudy MC sight glass

Rikugun

roro, is that a high temp racing formula? Glycol based?

The Prophet of Doom

Good point. I haven't built the brakes on the race bike yes but I'd best be careful about what I put in it

Re-Vision

Roro, did you buy the green brake fluid on St. Patrick's Day?    BDC

motoracer8

ATE super blue is good stuff, I put it in German cars for years, Castrol GT LMA is also very good and less money.  Any good Dot 3or4 would be good for your M/C, change it once a year you will have no issues.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Kevin

I'm a Continental tire employee and can get it at a discount. I like the idea of not needing to change it as often. Mainly for the cars. Who changes the car brake fluid every year?

motoracer8

Like I said, it's good stuff, and at a discount all the better.

I change brake fluid every two years in my cars, once a year in my motorcycles.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British