News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Breathers, trumpets, filters, sparks and pipes

Started by treedragon, March 21, 2011, 04:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

Ok then, a sort of combined waffled covering a number of my previous topics leading to the discovery of what happens when the pipes touch down when hanging off the side............  ::)

Inlet trumpets - some will recall I lengthened mine to good effect, using a custom made free flow filter based on the original unit. Well it got damaged when I was "adjusting" under the tank. I never did like the setup as I felt it was interfering with the lengthened trumpets sooo..... I had the bright idea of using a piece of mesh on the outside of the box with oiled filter foam. The foam is big enough that when the tank is slipped on it completes a tight seal down each side of the airbox. Works too.

I had been keeping an eye on my plugs in light of the above, freer flowing air and all, and the front plug had the merest hint of lean about it which supported what I had been "feeling". I raised the float height a little to make the mixture slightly richer up front, (I have decided to go to 135 sized jets front and rear instead of the current 130's).

Crankcase breathers - weekend ride with the Ducati boys, a hard few hundred k's and no oil in the catch bottle. So the upshot of the above was an overall improvement yet again with a definite impact at lower revs. The XZ's always had good pull low down but it never amounted much when you had a 998 or a 1098 up your tailpipe then it's revs revs revs, that situation has noticeably improved better with drive low down. It was a GOOD ride and the bike was very perky.

We come to the last 50k's of hills and twisties and the game plan is to get in front at the start of the hills particularly as the bike is running sooo nice, besides it's safer that way  :laugh:  :laugh:

So the later comment to me "...went past me like you were on a mission from hell!!! " becomes understandable, getting in front saves a lot of hassle later.

So with pipes in mind it's round the the first two tight sweepers(?) up the hill at a bit over 100k's, butt beside the seat, into the third but the seat material becomes a bit grabby, then bump crunch!! mid corner and the bike neatly lifts itself sideways a bit without losing it's composure at all, replants itself as if nothing has happened. I just luuuvvvv the way these bikes handle  ;D  ;D  ;D
Need to silicone my seat for easier transitions methinks.

I'm beginning to think the old adage of Capricorns "getting younger with age" has a ring of truth about it.................... or is that senility, time will tell  ;D

Rikugun

Quotethe old adage of Capricorns "getting younger with age"

I've never heard that one but I have heard the one about the cat that goes out to play with the ducks and uses up it's nine lives!!   :o  ;)  :)

It's nice to know the Vision can handle such adventures whilst keeping it's composure....

I on the other hand, would need to change my underdrawers.  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Treedragon, do I recall that you have access to a dyno, have you put the bike on it recently?

treedragon

Yes you recall correctly roro, we have one at work, currently our 999 race bike is sitting on it.

I will do the jet changes and fine tuning soonish, will then look to find a space in the queue to plant it's butt on it.

Rikugun - it's no problem really, just after I altered the suspension/geometry I went over this humongous bump mid corner that launched the whole bike sideways 2 feet, no time to think, butt suck onto the seat or panic, the bike just continued on totally unconcerned with barely a twitch. I could almost hear it say "Give me a break call that a bump??" I tended not to worry after that.........

QBS

Once had a similar situation on my '70 r60/5 BMW.  Was riding in a 25 mph crosswond and caught a little air at approx. 70 mph on a rural Texas road.  Crosswind blew us over about 3 feet toward the road shoulder and landed within 2-3 inches of the shoulder.  If I handn't seen it happen, I would never have known what had transpired.  Bike remained totally stable with Zero wobble.  Got my attention.  Moved over a lot more to the center of the lane and enjoyed two air sessions.

I've also caught air several time on the V.  Straight road, several really steep hills, 100 mph jumps. 

Cdnlouie

I know the feeling...one day I was hauling down a new twisty rural road and suddenly the road dropped down and I was into a right hand turn at the same time  ::), before I even knew what was going on the V with it's suspension fully extended on both wheels, reaching for the pavement, just skipped over about 3 feet to the left and kept on going  :o.

That was a new feeling  :-X that took a few moments to sort out in the head as well as a trip back to the turn to see how that had really happened. It had lost traction and the force going into the turn just moved the bike over and planted it once traction came back.  No wobble just the sensation of sliding through the air and then back in contact with the pavement  :angel:.

QBS

As for me personally, it's probably a real good thing that it happened so quickly that I had almost zero reaction time to screw up the dynamics of the event, and thus crash and burn.

Jumping the V wasn't an accident.  I anticipated getting light.