News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Top speed at different gears.

Started by per_w_aberg, August 03, 2014, 06:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

per_w_aberg

I don't have at tach so there is no way to tell my rpm. I don't experience any power kick at any rpm so maybe I'm to cautious revving it?  Have no idea what 10 000 rpm feels like on this little engine.

Do you experience a power kick at higher rpm?
Whats the top speed of gears 1-5?

Rikugun

I recently watched a YouTube video about "The World's Best Car"  - Chris Harris' 12 HP 1957 2CV. I'm guessing it also is not particularly "peaky". During the test drive he encourages the twin cylinder powered lovely up a slight hill and runs second gear out until he "approaches valve bounce". 

If you're not comfortable with that you can go up against the rev limiter to get a sense what the max safe RPM's feel like.  :D

I have a review from 1982 last lists the US model top speed in 5th as 110 MPH but no RPM is noted.
The owners manual has a chart with recommended shift points but it's doesn't tell you what you want to know either. I'm sure someone here can tell you though.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

per_w_aberg

Yeah, valve bounce is cool. My 66 Ford Taunus v6 had the manual say it was full throttle safe. That's probably with new valve springs. Mine started floating the valves easily and it always  sounded like a F1 car! Great fun. Wonder if my 32 year old xz550 is "vollgas fest"

I found a chart in the Cycle world testhttp://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.0:
1st   38mph
2nd  56mph
3rd  74mph
4th  92mph
5th  113mph

From what I read the stock 10k rev limiter is some how in the tach and a secondary 12k rev limiter is in the CDI. I'm not shure. Time to rev it up!

QBS

Rev it if you want.  My drag race shift point is in the 9 to 9.5 k area.  Going higher wastes time.

The Prophet of Doom

The speed at a given RPM is different in USA than in all other countries due to the US specific gearing

Multiply the USA speed at any given RPM by 1.04 to get the restofworld speed

Rikugun

Very good point POD. I meant to mention that but forgot.  :-[
Tire size and wear can also have a slight effect - front tire throws speedo off and rear the gear ratio.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

Mount a gps unit to see what happens. No guessing then.

per_w_aberg

Good on you! That would make it like this then.

USA spec
1st   38 mph
2nd  56 mph
3rd  74 mph
4th  92 mph
5th  113 mph

Non US spec (gear raito up 1.04 from US)
1st  64 km/h
2nd  94 km/h
3rd  124 km/h
4th  154 km/h
5th  189 km/h (downhill, sun from the back I guess)

How about my other question, the engine characteristics? I feel it pulling nicely and strong from say 35 km/h on 5th, that's pretty rad for an engine that revs 10k. But I don't fell any particular rpm where it sets of, rather a steady pull through the revs. Whats your opinion on that?

Rikugun

QuoteHow about my other question, the engine characteristics? I feel it pulling nicely and strong from say 35 km/h on 5th, that's pretty rad for an engine that revs 10k. But I don't fell any particular rpm where it sets of, rather a steady pull through the revs. Whats your opinion on that?
That's been my experience too - this engine isn't very peaky but rather builds steadily as the RPM's increase. My '82 GPz on the other hand is somewhat gutless at 3500 but does build power with RPMs. At 6500 or so it has a very noticeable spike and continues on to redline.

The Visions torque curve is flatter and I find it a more enjoyable street ride. Since more torque is available sooner it can be short shifted and still move along briskly. The Kawi has an additional gear but requires more shifting to keep the revs in the happy zone. The Vision ridden through the same terrain will maintain the same pace with less drama.