News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

3-D Printed Parts?

Started by Re-Vision, December 22, 2014, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

You guys with access to 3-D printers. What are the possibilities of making grommets for the Vision that will holdup to motorcycle conditions?       BDC

The Prophet of Doom

The ones I've used at the technical college only produce fairly hard plastic  parts
You could make a mould, but it would be just as easy to do that with using an existing good grommet.  Either way it will cost you more than $4

fret not

Other materials are being developed for 3D printers.  Is anyone here active in this area?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

I might be "that guy". I've had a printer for about 2 years, am building 2 other designs (one SLA machine!), and have ordered a 4th to have one that's smaller and portable... I guess you could say that I've got a 3D problem :)

What grommet do you need? Got a picture?

I've been working on a 3D printed quadcopter, and I designed and printed a rubber mold for some vibration isolators that I needed.

http://repables.com/r/431/

Depending on the hardness of the material that you need, I'm sure that Alumalite or SmoothOn makes somethings that would work.

Other options are the flexible materials that have come out recently. Google "ninjaflex".

Re-Vision

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004248af8700209bc787e7b/side-cover

Sidecover grommets #3,4,and 5 are the ones that need replacing, rather than a photo of my worn-out grommets I would order new ones and copy those. Measurements of old ones vary and are not reliable.      BDC

fret not

Next time I'm at the local hardware store I will go through their bins in search of suitable items.  These are all round and made of rubber, not soft plastic, though soft plastic could do well. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!