News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Riding with Lights On Constantly

Started by Glyn, August 16, 2009, 06:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Our Govmt here in all it's wisdom is bringing in a law on 1st Nov to make it illegal to ride a motorcycle if it
does not have it's lights on. I'm wondering what this may do to stator life? I like to ride mine for a few miles with no lights on to give the battery a bit of a chance to charge up, since the bike is not getting regular use. I'm not sure if this actually helps or not, but it makes me feel better. My stator is showing a healthy 14v charge rate at the moment. Any thoughts? Do you need lights on all the time in the USA / UK?

chrisw

In all their wisdom, normally the RTA will let the older model bikes go without adhering to this law, same as when they made seatbelts mandatory.
So I wouldn't worry about it too much at the time being.

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Glyn,

Once again the government succumbs to presure for manufacturers of safety equipment.

I checked the regulations...
However, at times other than during the hours of darkness, a driver of a moped or a motorcycle must use—
(a) the vehicle's headlamps; or
(b) if fitted, the vehicle's daytime running lamps.

Your best bet to make you feel better would be to pop on a couple of auxiliary running LED lights with low power consumption  and  to get a trickle charger.

I'm thinking of doing that.  Australian research says running lights are FAR safer than headlights

Are you coming on our XZ Burt Munro ride in Nov?

Tiger

:) Mandatory here in Canada (and the U S I believe)...has been for many years  :police: Our Vision lights can't be turned off, unless a separate switch is fitted, so we don't have a choice really.

8)......TIGER....... 8)                         
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Safety research and my own personal experience has shown that daytime MC visibility is greatly increased by running with lights on during daylight hours.  US DOT regulations dating from the mid to late '70s directed that all MCs sold new in the USA must have this feature and that it be undefeatable.  Meaning that there would not be an "on/off" headlight switch.  MCs produced prior to the mandate are not effected.  The mandate did not address owner modification after the initial sale.

I'm not sure, but I think several states do require that MCs be operated with their lights on regardless of year of mfg. or operator preference.  Texas does not.

YellowJacket!

I run my highbeam all the time during the day - have so since I started riding.  I'll switch to low beams as needed during the day.  I just added two 35 watt halogen lights on my engine guards that stay on all teh time while the bike is running and irregardless of the high beam.  They are mostly for making me be seen rather than me seeing things.  Also added two sets of extra brake lights that are each made up of 6 high brightness LED's.
I think it may have actually helped a bit because my voltmeter used to show spikes into the 16 volt range.  Now it sits happily at 14.5 to 15 volts.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

On Tourer I have a euro switchpod & can turn the lights on, off, or Parking only, I don't turn them on till after i've started the bike, & will turn them off occasionally if i'm sitting at a light & the bike is hot, & the volts tend to drop below 12v untill i get going again.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on August 16, 2009, 11:59:26 AM
On Tourer I have a euro switchpod & can turn the lights on, off, or Parking only, I don't turn them on till after i've started the bike, & will turn them off occasionally if i'm sitting at a light & the bike is hot, & the volts tend to drop below 12v untill i get going again.

--Lucky

I need to get with you about how you wired that up.  I have one too waiting to be installed.  My riding lights are on my headlight circuit but don't go out when I hit the start button.  YJ starts fine, but I'm sure one night after a long day at work, she'll decide to remind me who's boss and dribble down to 12 volts and not want to start.

David

Re-Vision

I personally do not believe the Gooberment cares one iota about our safety by mandating lights on all the time.  It just makes it easier for  the cops to chase riders at night.  An on/off switch for the headlights might save your stator as well as your butt.  Jmo.  BDC

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Re-Vision on August 16, 2009, 03:42:56 PM
I personally do not believe the Gooberment cares one iota about our safety by mandating lights on all the time.  It just makes it easier for  the cops to chase riders at night.  An on/off switch for the headlights might save your stator as well as your butt.  Jmo.  BDC

Then you'll need to turn off your tail and brake lights too.

David

Brian Moffet

I've run with headlights on for 44000 miles without a problem.  See lots and lots of other posts on stator wear.

Brian

lexx790

Not compulsary in UK but advisory, I always do as I currently ride a GS500 which has one of those beastly chain things and I have mychain oiler linked to the rear lights.

Kenny

I can't go along with you guys on this one-& it has nothing to do with the Gov't succumbing to the manufactures of safety equipt. desires. I know have seen many bikes most on the state side without lights That you can't see as they are comming towards you!
   This is for your "be seen & not run over time" It is a Federal Law in Canada that all vehicles must have running lights after the date this law was implmented.
   A relative just imported a 1996 class C motorhome from Mich. & one of the items he must do is install the box which adds driving lights to the vehicle. This system is already installed in the vehicle sans control box.
   To you I say get over it and make yourself more Visible! 
     I actually prefer the headlight on setup that is on my XV920rh which has the headlight off until the start sequence is complete.
                           Be Visible! ;D
                                              Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

h2olawyer

I'm with Kenny.  It is a true, proven safety feature.

As for stator life, using more electrical power is not a bad thing - the stator always puts out full power above around 2000 RPMs.  Using more power for the headlight will keep the R/R from shunting as much excess to ground & thus, create a little less heat inside the R/R.  Feel free to use all available charging power (short of draining your battery) - it will have no effect on stator life.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

treedragon

I'm all for being seen and feel it is the riders responsibility for making sure one is seen.

Lights be good and as NZer I'm pleased to hear that my riding lights, (LED's in my case), should be acceptable. I am not so keen on headlights particularly high beam because for the most part when you are looking at oncoming headlights it can be very difficult to judge speed and distance and NZer's are not noted for taking the cautious approach in my experience.............  :o  :o  :o

Against a setting sun headlights just blend right on in there.

YellowJacket!

For a while before I put the driving lights on YJ, I used to point out visible and less visible bikes to my wife whiel we were driving around (in the cage). Looking at a sportbike coming towards you with a small headlight compared to a larger bike like  a cruiser with running lights and a headlight is a world of difference.  You can see it much better.  Judging distance is another thing.  It does not make it more difficult to judge the distance, its just a smaller object.
The goal is to be more visible...and more careful.

David

Re-Vision

Two headlights make it easier to judge distance of oncoming motorcycles and anything that gets you noticed should make you safer.  My thoughts on turning off headlights was for daytime travelers especially those who are running extra loads.  Headlight on/off switch could help you get home if you have a stator problem during daylight hours.  I was trying to get a rise out of anyone about turning headlights off at night, though I once did it in Alvin,TX. I went airborne every night when crossing the rail road tracks and one night a hidden cop came after me, I turned off the headlights and then killed the engine while hiding behind a large cedar tree in someone's driveway.  Other than occasional speeding, I'm a pretty law abiding citizen.  BDC

QBS

Pulling the headlight fuse will decrease electron consumption in the presence of a failed stator.

h2olawyer

Quote from: QBS on August 17, 2009, 10:37:25 AM
Pulling the headlight fuse will decrease electron consumption in the presence of a failed stator.

Plus you don't have to needlessly hack into a perfectly good wiring harness.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

motoracer8

It's been a federal law in the US. from 1977 all motorcycles manufactured in, or imported into the US will have the lights allways on.  Not all states require lights on all the time. I had a CHP here in California stop me and asked how come I din't have my headlamp on, I pointed up and said the suns out I could see just fine, of course he said pull over smart ass and then spent some time looking through the vechicle code book to find the infraction, after a few minutes I said you are not going to find a code in there about headlamps on, he finally said he was sorry he stopped me and asked if I did'nt think it was a good idea to run my headlamp during the day for safety, I said I'm shure it is no arguement.  I was riding a old BMW with a weak generator, and told him if I ride around in stop and go traffic with the lights on the generator won't keep up then it won't start, with that he rode away.

A US. senator by the name of Danforth gave us the headlamp law, and also the third brake light on cars. In a interview some years ago he was asked if he had seen any studies to see if either of these laws had incresed safety, he said no, but was shure it would. I'm shure he was happy to get his name on the legislation.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British