how do I seperate the drive shaft from the transmisiion / single nut removal

Started by gumbydamnit, September 09, 2010, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbydamnit

>:(   I have recently acqiured a pair of visions [ an 81 and an 84 ]  the double disk pretty one has a bum ticker and a badly snarled pair of carbs, the ugly duckling [ 81 ] looks like crap but runs like a scalded dog.
I am swithching the bad for good ay and am wondering the best way to seperate the drive shaft from the tranny w/o discombobulatin' the u joint... avin' a nogo on finding manuals.. any Ideas ?  P.S. love the little twins. lot's a pep
for such a slight thing, very fast... any body selling power plants / double disc front ends, please contact. thanx

The Prophet of Doom

The driveshaft is on splines.  Unbolt the swingarm and it just pulls out towards the rear.

Lucky

or when you pull the engine, the driveshaft just slips out.  if you have intentions of pulling the swingarm, be forwarned, several on here have a really tough time with seiezed bearings..  much easier to swap engines...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

True, except that if your swing arm bearings are seized, I'd be recommending replacement.  It's not hard, not terribly expensive and improves handling no end.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV... 8)

It tends to be that the swing arm bolt and the bushing that it goes through seize together and are a real bitch to even try to separate. I had to cut the last one out!!! >:( Its also a sure sign that the bearings are kaput too ;) I have new bearings on order for one of mine.

Lucky has a CD/DVD with all the workshop/owners/parts manuals included along with a lot of helpful hints, advertising stuff, etc...one of these will save you and your Vision a lot of grief mate...well worth the $45.00  8)

BTW...were are you located... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!