News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rear swing arm bearings 101.....

Started by Tiger, November 21, 2010, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Something you should all consider, at some point...soon!!!

Your Vision swing arm bearings...These bearings get overlooked all the time. They endure a lot of punishment from the elements and constant movement without getting any lubrication!!! Failure is inevitable over time...These bearings do contribute to the handling of your Vision :o

The front part of the Vision swing arm is attached at two points.......

1 - The lower front of the swing arm attaches at the bottom of the frame, which is where the swing arm bearings are situated...

2 - The rear mono shock attaches to the front upper swing arm brackets...

If you have any play at #1 you need to change the bearings...now!!! 

Any play you may have at #2 will be caused by wear in the clevis pin and/or the mono shock bushing...check and replace, as need be.

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

Can Tiger or someone chim in with where the clevis pin and the shock bushing are available. Also how can one change the bushing in the shock? Is it a press fit? Do i need to heat the outer for it to come out?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Oz Vision

Could this be the reason for an unstable feeling in the rear end under heavy braking?
Tyres are good, I run 30-32psi in the back tyre.
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

Tiger

Quote from: Oz Vision on November 28, 2010, 01:29:04 AM

Could this be the reason for an unstable feeling in the rear end under heavy braking?

:) I can't say yes for sure...However, if everything else is set the way it should be, i.e. good working rear shock, right tires/pressures, rear brake shoes are in good condition, brake bar bolts have been replaced, brake pivot arms/shafts are clean/lubricated and working properly, etc, etc then I would suspect these bearing and inspect the rear swing arm for any play to confirm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

kev10104

I think I am going to have to put my house up for sale and buy a new one with a garage.Or build one here because I get so antsy wanting to do all this stuff but can't really see myself doing it out in the cold with my fingers freezing off.Oh well soon enough.

spectre

Quote from: kev10104 on November 28, 2010, 07:34:43 AM
I think I am going to have to put my house up for sale and buy a new one with a garage.Or build one here because I get so antsy wanting to do all this stuff but can't really see myself doing it out in the cold with my fingers freezing off.Oh well soon enough.
you could build a shed  :)
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

fret not

If you make a shed make it bigger than you think you need.  You still probably won't have enough room. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kev10104

I have two sheds but need a third.In the thinking process right now.

Lucky

Quote from: fret nut on November 29, 2010, 12:40:24 AM
If you make a shed make it bigger than you think you need.  You still probably won't have enough room. ;)

true, I put up a 10 x 14 a couple of years ago, i wish i had built (or had room for) a Barn!! :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kev10104

I have a little room to put a nice size shed or garage but they seem to want money for it.Always something.lol.

Raj1988

Hey kev, Lemme know if you need a hand building that new shed of yours... I havent had call to work on a home building project yet!!!

kev10104

I appreciate that buddy.It would be a first for me as we.I would really like a garage just for the space and if you build less then a ten by ten you don't need a permit and your property taxes would not be affected.I will wait until the spring and make a decision then.

The Prophet of Doom

I'm with Tiger.  Swingarm bearing were the 4th best thing I've done.  First was new rubber BT45s front and rear, second was the new stainless brake lines.  Third was the tapered steering head bearings.

Lucky

Roro, BT45's were the first new set of tires i put on my Vision when i got it, & I didn't care for them at all. they felt loose in the corners & wore out fast, but they were cheap. 

Their design may have been good in the 60's & 70's but there are much better, & safer, tires out there.  buy the best you can afford.  Avon supervenom were fantastic, but are not ava in our size anymore, Their Road Riders are what i have on 2 of my bikes now & they perform great..

--Lucky

Raj1988

i have no intent of starting a "tyre wars" thread again... but lucky so you ever notice you Avon RR cause tracking in the rain grooves? or could i attribute that to running 100/90 front and 110/90 rear??

Oz Vision

Hmmm, I am running BT45's too. 120/80 on back and 90/90 on front. They were on it when I bought the bike and are almost new.
Maybe they are connected with the loose back end. Any thoughts?
1982 Yamaha XZ 550 - 16R x 2
1972 Yamaha AS3 125 twin 
1971 Yamaha DS7 250 twin 
1987 Yamaha XJ 900F
1985 Yamaha FZ 750

Rikugun

Grooves in the direction of travel are a tricky thing in general and can sometimes be a function of tire wear as much as brand. Back in the mid 80's I ran Metzlers that I felt were very good. However, after wear altered the profile, grooves and some iron-grate bridge surfaces caused it to be a little "squirrely".

I got a set of the RR Avons for my GPz and probably the Vision when needed. I was a little disappointed there was no balancing dot like the more expensive Metzlers, Dunlops, etc. I always equated the mark to higher quality tires but have been very pleased with the Avon's performance.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jasonm.

TIGER, there are thrust washers on the ends...just outside the bearings. These are taking a lot of load as well. These also wear and sometimes that is all you need..change these and follow the manual for proper fit and play. I have had 5 Visions. Some of them had the bearings NOT pressed all the way in. The hard bearing "cuts" into the thrust washer...result=  play. If you do change the bearings or remove the swing arm . Install a grease fitting pointing to 6 o'clock. Carefully clean a metal bits out and... PUMP it UP once a year!  Also the seals at the end a critical for long life. 
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

no real rain groves in the roads here so i can't offer an opinon on that, but I don't doubt any grooving in the direction of travel would be a problem...

Raj, I don't think you started a 'war' last time, just a good debate :)

Oz, could be, my BT's never felt as sticky.., plus since they have been around so long, you might want to check the date code & make sure they aren't old and hardened..

Tiger

Quote from: jasonm. on December 02, 2010, 01:53:54 PM
TIGER, there are thrust washers on the ends...just outside the bearings. These are taking a lot of load as well. These also wear and sometimes that is all you need..

:) I agree/disagree...Agreed, the thrust washers should be replaced. However, if your going to pull the swing arm out, you should be replacing those 28 year old, dry, rusted, worn out needle bearing as a matter of course, don't you think...

In a lot of cases, the hardest part is removing the bolt from the swing arm!!! This can seize inside the bushing (that fits in to the bearings). You think that its coming loose, only to find its free of the swing arm threads but seized solid in the bushing...now, removal is a real BITCH!!!!!

Prior to the rebuild stage, I would also recommend that you install a grease fitting on the underside of the frame, making sure that nothing pertrudes in to the bushing and any metal swarf is cleaned out. Next, drill the bushing...this will allow grease to lube the inside of the bushing and save any chance of bolt/bushing seizure in the future. The grease fitting will also, obviously, allow you to keep the new bearings lubricated on a regular basis... 8)