The wife road with me today!!!

Started by don_vanecek, August 10, 2008, 11:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

Well I'll be darn but I got the wife to go on a ride with me today! Other then a 15 mile ride to town and back about amonth ago, this is the first time she has been on the back of the V in about 15 years or so.

The local VJMC chapter I belong to had a ride and BBQ today over in Iowa, the wife rode with me for over 130 miles.  It was kind of nice for both of us that we had stops about every 30 miles or so. Weather was just alittle warm but that too bad. I was hoping to post some pictures, forgot my camera, borrowed my kids camera, took about six pictures before the batteries died, oh well.  One of the other members has a 86 Ventura, always interesting to compare those engines.  My Vision ran perfect. I would say the biggest problem with the V and a passenger is dips and bumps that jar you and your rider-26 year old suspension.

The BBQ, from about 6-7:30 was interesting. The member's home (he rides a GT 750 water buffaloe) is about 1/2 mile west of I-29 just south of Missouri Valley, IA.  During the time we were there I think there had to be a hundred or more bikes, bikes in trucks, RV's with trailers, etc, going south on the interstate. Yeah, they all sounded and looked like HD's. We assume they are pretty much all coming from Sturgis-couldn't believe how many there were in the short time we were there.

Well, don't know if I'll get her on again but we had a nice day-and she's a good passenger!

h2olawyer

Nice way to get quality time with the spouse!  Glad you had a good ride together.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Good for you Don... 8) Cathy rides with me most weekends, weather permitting. We generally head out on a Sunday for an hours ride and stop for brunch at one of our favorite watering holes. We then head back home via another route.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

I wish I was as lucky.  Thought I had her once when she voulnteered for a benefit ride but she later backed out and will have nothing to do with riding...to the point of telling me to not bother asking her ever again.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

67GTO

I had my wife on the bike only once, back when I first got it. Come to find out in talking to her this weekend she feels insecure on the back, like she could slide right off. She said a back rest would
help a great deal! 

(Hello Kevin are you there? ;))
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Kenny

Here's How "Havin the wife on the back" went for me: In 1980 same year we where married, I set up a Yamaha xs1100 with Krauser bags,Rack factory top box, Vetter fairing, Tent-sleeping bag,5 pounds of maps from the Provinces to the east.
   We started out from Kimberley B.C. and headed over to Walt Healy's Yamaha for some minor warranty items. On the way,must have been around Rafter Six Ranch(east of Banff) the tent jumped off  :-[ the bike and landed on the Trans Canada Highway, some one started beating on the back of my helmet -so I pulled over asap -looking in the mirror I saw an 18 wheeler swerve around a red article on the road, that's great he missed the tent!
    That night as planned we Motel'ed it in Calgary and did our Warranty thing and headed off on the TCH #1 towards Moose Jaw where we had planned a night of celebration downtown in the City campground. We got down to business and pulled the tent off its now secure location and began to set it up-well x%$&# christ if the all the poles were'nt flat as a pancake on one end!! >:(
  This was a sight for sore eyes a half collapsed tent tied onto the bike handlebar on one end and a juniper bush on the other!!
     Need less to say the next night was spent in a Motel ,we stayed with relatives in Winnipeg and managed some new poles before we left.
  I believe we made it up to Marathon, Ontario later that week and due to poor planning and 6 hours of rain manage to get stuck in the mud  (two seasons here winter & construction) with all the motels full, one enterprising fellow rented us his camper trailer (nice idea) except the load of dirty diapers left behind didn't give much room for celebration.
   When we finally exited the rain near Quebec city, Dorothy decided she would pass the time on the pillion seat by reading,I suppose she must have finished a book or so and by this time we were into New Brunswick, the back seat wasgetting pretty comfy and in the late afternoon sun - someone relaxed  a bit to much and drifted into a sleep-just about this time the road started to turn a bit  and just when I was into a nicely set up turn  Dorothy woke up and scared the beje#$^ out of herself and me.!! :o
  So after we arrived home the word was "I want my own bike" its to borring behind you. All in all it was a great trip & the only Province we didn't get to was Newfoundland.
        Cheers Ken S.(with permission) ;D ;D

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

The Prophet of Doom

While we are reminiscing, this is me with big hair on #1 in 1984 or 85 when the suspension was fresh enough for a 3 week, 3000km journey 2-up.  It's the road to Milford Sound in New Zealand.  240km of largely dirt road but well worth being voted by trip advisor as the world's #1 destination.

Rick G

I tried ,9 years ago , to take my wife for a ride , but her PTSD kicked in and she wasn't able to relax. We went around the block. I have her blessing  to ride most anywhere , so I ride alone.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

I too, am blessed to ride solo  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

joevacc

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

kwells

I'm surprised my girlfriend doesn't freak out too bad.  Last time we went though Golden Gate State Park we scraped pegs on some hard right handers and she said she was fine with it.  She rarely comes on rides though so I think she was just appeasing me.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com