Starter bushing

Started by Re-Vision, April 02, 2012, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Anyone know how to remove and replace this starter bushing?       BDC

Rikugun

I have a small slide hammer with provisions for grabbing behind the bushing provided there's enough room. Another way is to tap it with a bottoming tap and thread in a bolt. When the bolt bottoms out in the hole, keep turning the bolt and it will draw the bushing out of the bore - provided the bushing doesn't begin to spin in the hole.  :o. Or, thread in the bolt and use a slide hammer or leverage to remove the bushing.  If you can find the right sized bolt you may be able to just thread it into the soft bushing like a self tapping screw and eliminate the need for a tap.

I've read of a method where you fill the hole with grease and drive a snug fitting piece of round stock into the bore. The hydraulic pressure of the grease will drive the bushing out. This would also require a little space at the bottom of the blind holel.

Less elegant but in a pinch you may be able to cut through one side of it with a small burr in a dremel. That will release it's grip on the bore hole and allow you to work it out. Maybe carefully drill some of the material first to reduce the wall thickness? Obviously care must be exercised regardless of the method used.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

Thanks, didn't have any of those fancy tools but I did have a bolt that threaded in and was able to whack it with a wrench and hammer.     BDC

QBS

Re-V, just curious, why do you need to remove this bushing?

Re-Vision

Two reasons, it came with the kit and it was worn rather badly. All of the other bearings came out fairly easy. The armature was worn enough that I replaced that also. Any one want to buy a rebuilt starter?    BDC

QBS

Please see my edit tip in the "Starter Question" post in this section.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Re-Vision on April 02, 2012, 04:25:14 PM
Thanks, didn't have any of those fancy tools but I did have a bolt that threaded in and was able to whack it with a wrench and hammer.     BDC
How do you thread a bolt into a hard bearing? I have this exact problem.

Rikugun

The steel bolt is harder than the bronze bushing. Maybe Re-Vision can share what grade/size/pitch bolt he used.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

It was a steel bolt with a shaft diameter of 9.85mm and 8.8 on the head.     BDC

carotman

I did this exact same job last evening.

To remove this bushing, just use a M10 tap (I used a M10X1.25) and tap threads in the bushing. Then, just use a matching bolt to pull the bushing. Super easy

Protonus

Thanks for the tips guys, about to do this job tonight/tomorrow!

1982 with full '83 fairings

The Prophet of Doom

Iain and I have just done 2 of these
Fill the bearing full of grease, Insert an old 10mm drill bit (blunt end to the bearing) and tap vigorously.  It will pop up out of the hole easy peasy.

Rick G

Might have to hunt up an old 10mm drill bit , not common here.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

I screwed the bolt into the bushing and removed it by hand.     BDC

Rikugun

Well it seems there are several methods that net good results  ;D

zebulon

Hi all, best method for me was heating the starter cap on a hot plate to about 212° F. The bushing will fall out easily. Make sure to wear heavy gloves!  ;D  You can use an oven, too, but make sure, the person who uses it for food preparation is not at home :angel:
You reached the right temperature if small drops of water you drop on sizzle and evaporate.
You can also just spit on it, same effect. This is not recommended in Singapore :police:
Before installing the new bushing put it in the freezer for an hour and heat up the cap. Installation will be very easy.

This procedure is also good for bearing replacement.

Greetings from Hamburg
Pete

Rikugun

Good tips, taking advantage of thermal expansion is often helpful when working with press fit parts.  :)

Rick G

I've replaced many two stroke cyl. liners using the kitchen oven . And yes be sure the lady of the house isn't home . She won't believe it won't hurt here oven, even it you tell her you just ran it through her dish washer! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

RICK! I hope you degreased it in the shower before bringing 'that thing' into the kitchen!!!  :) :)  :D:D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

No, he used the "sani" cycle on the dishwasher. It would be disrespectful to use the shower. You'd end up dripping water all the way from the bathroom to the kitchen.  :)