YICS fabrication info-update (UPDATED)

Started by reckon, February 16, 2007, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reckon

I am making the prototype YICS box this weekend, I'll take pix, and post the "how I did it"

basically it will be exactly like the original in size and shape, but will be made from a phenolic epoxy/aluminum composite.  I think this will give the best heat and chemical resistance, and the composite will have a durometer (hardness or stiffness) of way over 100, meaning it will be very very hard, and not flex under pressure, or vacuum.

it will be a two piece unit, and will be shipped assembled with a gasket and sealer, and since I am installing helicoils in the threaded holes, they will be torqued down nice and tight. the box will be assembled with vicron o rings for the upper two screws, and the lower one loose, so you can attach your existing cover. or I might fully seal the box using all three screws, and make a velcro "dot" on the front lower "post" to attatch the cover to the bottom of the box.
the nipples where the hoses connect will now have a raised bead to aid in sealing and the box should last longer than the motorcycle itself and need no further repairs,.......ever.   

the cost could get pretty high, I'll have to see how many I can make from the materials I have, to see what the final cost will be, but I should be able to get them to ROV members for about $50 each (it might be as high as $75) with a portion of the proceeds going to the two sites (ROV and XZ550.com)

I can also make the covers, but wont be doing that until after I make the carb boots, which is the next project after these start to go out.

and yes, I think the gas tanks will be following that,...so lots of cool stuff coming down the pipe for your V.

peace, love and mold release agent
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

Reckon,
for your consideration:
since the YICS works on intake pulses, i've allways believed that the fact that the part has some elasticity to it has a lot to do with it's ability to intake & expell the intake charge.  i wonder if making it too rigid wouldn't reduce it's efficency? otherwise, why would Yamaha opt for thick plastic for this one part, then cover it in chrome seperatly, instead of just using a thinner metal?

perhaps they knew aluminum would crack under the stresses, or steel would be too rigid...

my .02

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Quote from: Lucky on February 17, 2007, 05:24:57 AM
why would Yamaha opt for thick plastic for this one part, then cover it in chrome seperatly, instead of just using a thinner metal?

perhaps they knew aluminum would crack under the stresses, or steel would be too rigid...

Or, maybe it was because of weight, or cost... or just bad management decision...   :D

Reckon, I am impressed by your will to prototype, fabricate and distribute.

Lou

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

there are a lot of 'what-if's', but i really think it was intentional...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

reckon

pure speculation:  it seems to me the YICS was an afterthought,..like they designed the prototype and it was hard to ride at low speeds (v-twin, go figure) so they came up with the YICS system.

like I said I am just speculating, but that would explain alot of the "if's", like why it was made from a non fuel resistant plastic  (it looks like polyester type injection molding) etc,...

from the reading on the hemholtz resonator (or whatever it's called) I saw that several people thought that the copper fabs, and possibly stiffer walled tubing would be a more functional design, which is why I wanted to make mine from a stiff composite.

I should have a workable prototype by wednesday, and I'll bolt it on the bike and give it a good two week torture test, and see what happens.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on February 20, 2007, 08:02:54 PM
for the high price of one used p111 laptop with a bad keyboard, lol

heh heh heh  Thats exactlly how I got my V.  Traded it for a K6-II 350+ with 256mb and 10 gig hdd....and it had a passive matrix lcd!

David

reckon

ok I got the molds made, and poured a a few prototypes, but during some of the machining they started to crack, so I have to add some different "stuff" to the resin and probably go down a hardness or two as well.

design changes
: no raised bead on the nipples (leaked), no aluminum in the composite (wouldn't distribute evenly, without bubbling) and the lower screw hole will be closed and helicoiled  like the upper two, and a velcro dot will be included for attaching the lower end of the chrome YICS cover to the botom "post" on the YICS box (with the top bolted it wont come loose) the box will come fully assembled and leak tested, all you'll l have to do is unbolt the old YICS, attach the hoses, peel and stick the velcro dots, attach the cover, and bolt the thing back on with the top bolt.

other than that it was within .005 in. of the original, and looked pretty good. as soon as I get the working prototype on the bike, and give it a torture test, they should be ready, if anyone needs a new YICS.

figure march 10th-15th.

jasonm.

You can make your own YICS using copper pipe and fittings. Cap the ends and solder. Solder does not melt till +500F.  Using small hose fittings and some other items to seal it up. This is my plan...if needed.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

reckon

Quote from: jasonm. on February 25, 2007, 10:53:56 AM
You can make your own YICS using copper pipe and fittings. Cap the ends and solder. Solder does not melt till +500F.  Using small hose fittings and some other items to seal it up. This is my plan...if needed.

or you could buy a brand spanking new one from me for $45, and just bolt it on the bike!
(you get them assembled, leak tested and ready to go)

I have the prototype on the bike now, and as soon as I'm sure it wont leak or crack, or melt, (another week?) I can start sending these out, and I will give a portion of each sale to this site, so you get a new YICS, and help out your favorite forum at the same time.

carb boots are next, then the gas tanks!

YellowJacket!

I'm speechless.  That looks perfect.

You might want to get with Coil about carb boots as he is trying to work out another carb solution for our bikes.  Man, custom boots may open up a whold new realm of tweaking.

Good job and thanks for your contrbutions! ;D

David

MotorPlow

New gas tanks will give these bikes another 25 years of life!

louthepou

I, too, am speechless.

Too bad can't make exhaust out of that stuff!

I think I'll order a Yics from Reckon, not because I need one right now, but mostly to salute his will to prototype, and 'caus fabricating is cool!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

bryanspoon

How do I get my hands on one?  I talked to John and took my off, only put the ends on...does this explain (my lack of the YICS unit on my bike) why my low end acceleration sucks?

Bryan

reckon

The boxes work great, except, I find it altogether to easy to snap the nipples off of the back of the YICS, so I am fitting each box with brass hose barbs, cast into the unit, and then sandwiched in with a jam nut and sealed.

these should be available for shipping in a week or two, I just need to work out the delicate nipple thingy .

since I have been prototyping these things I have had the box on and off of the bike alot lately, so I get alot of comparason time.

OBSERVATIONS:
the bike has more low end grunt, and accelerates quicker with the YICS plugged at the motor, slightly less grunt with hoses attached  and plugged with ball bearings, or a hose plug.

it runs smoother, shifts smoother, idles better and starts somewhat easier with the YICS connected, but at the expense of some low end torque. it did however seem to have a little more HP (I was going faster at the same RPM) with the YICS hooked up.

I can also say that the difference between a leaky YICS, and a repaired or new one is like you are riding a different bike.

now please understand that these observations are PURELY speculative, and "seat of the pants", and have no actual measured testing, just what I notice when I run, or dont run the YICS on my particular V, since I have had it on and off about a dozen times now.

if I was going to race it, I'd take the YICS off,....but for everyday street, or any kind of touring, I'd run the YICS.

jasonm.

I assume a high temp epoxy seals the 2 halfs together?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

reckon

Quote from: jasonm. on March 13, 2007, 07:35:16 PM
I assume a high temp epoxy seals the 2 halfs together?

no,.....

I assemble each unit with a gasket, and RED silicone RTV, and screwed together with o-ring tipped screws, except the lower hole, which is no longer screwed into the cover, it is through bolted with a nyloc nut at the rear, and a velcro "dot" at the front to affix the cover, which is still bolted in at the top.

I found this way was very solid, repairable, and I got NO internal leaks, which on one of the epoxied prototypes I did.

kiawrench

someone buy this fella a good cigar, and a carbonated malt beverage or three! sent you a e-mail reckon, let me know .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

The Prophet of Doom

Nice job ! I almost wish I needed a new YICS.

If you are really going to start making petrol tanks, then I will hold my breath and abandon plans to get mine beaten.