News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Another simple solution to broken float drain barbs

Started by Extent, September 01, 2011, 03:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

So I was rebuilding a new (to me) set of carbs and decided to replace the broken plastic fittings with something a little shinier.  I pulled the original fittings off with a set of vicegrips (the brass tubes came right out with them) and hit the drain hole with a 1/4-28 tap.  If you look down into the drain hole when the fittings are removed you can see a little lip, it's safe to drill and tap down at least that far.

Then I just found the SB60 threaded hose barb fittings from Pneumadyne, less than 3 bucks for a pair (plus shipping)
http://www.pneumadyne.com/thread-barb-fittings-bulkhead-connectors-p-3406-l-en.html

The end result is very clean.

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

The Prophet of Doom

Great solution, I'll do the same if I can find a metric equivalent, I'm not going to buy a set of those crazy american spanners just for this

Lucky

hmmm, how about bleeder screws? might be easier to find, but i'm not sure what the threads are..

usually, i don't think the brass comes out that easily, but even if it doesn't, it'll drill/tap easy enough...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

Wait, what about the bleeder screws?  They still come in the rebuild kits.

These carbs look like they had been mangled quite a bit (missing screws, lots of them stripped)  The plastic bits were all chewed up, but the brass came right out with them by just twisting and then pulling.  It's only press fit so if they don't pull out you just need to pull harder :p.  Even if you cant get them out the hole does need to be drilled just one size up for the 1/4" tap, but removing them first just means less chips.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

VFan

This is a great post! Thanks for the idea and pic.

VFan

pullshocks

Great solution.  Those stock fittings are quite fragile.  I broke one of the plastic ones recently and had to canibalize another set of carbs.  I assumed that meant they are relegated to the scrap heap, but your fix can be applied.
Have you come up with a suitable tee fitting?

Tiger

Quote from: pullshocks on September 06, 2011, 10:45:06 AM
Have you come up with a suitable tee fitting?

Either run with two drain tubes or you can put a "T" fitting in to the line between the the front and back carb...and run a single line from that... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

js9_20

On my 83, i decided to leave the drilling and tapping as a last resort.  I found some flared 1/4" fitting inserts at the local hardware store, for about a dollar.  The tube wall thickness is quite thin and, since the fitting O.D. is only a micron larger in size from the 4 mm orifice in the carb, I was able to tap it "gently," into the hole with a small hammer.  The flared end mushroomed a bit from the hammer but, i planned to cut it anyway with a hacksaw so, it worked out fine.  I attached a short piece of fuel line to the fitting then attached a "T" to that and then the original hose between the two drains.
Now, I can finally move on with cleaning up the carbs and running it.  Woohoo!

QBS

Excellent.  Thank you for the tip.  Believe it or not, my '83 still wears its' oem float drain lines and drain spigots.  I think the secret is to mess with the carbs as little possible and be very careful when removing the lines from the spigots.  If possible, only remove a line from just one of the spigots and leave the other line still attached to the other carb.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: QBS on September 22, 2011, 11:49:18 AM
Believe it or not, my '83 still wears its' oem float drain lines and drain spigots. 

ditto.

Brian

js9_20

Yeah, both my 82's have original also, to my knowledge.  The 83 was broke when I got it (I think... haha,) but it's fixed now.   Definately a good idea to treat them gently.