Starter nose seal and backer rings

Started by vadasz1, May 06, 2011, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdnlouie

Robert, put me down for 4 pieces of the backer rings and one oil seal, save me a trip over there.  Thanks...good job on finding those  ;).  Must be a recent addition to their supply as they were not available a few years ago.  We seem to be getting better off with seals and other goodies, the older the Vision gets.

vadasz1

Quote from: roro on May 07, 2011, 10:43:53 PM
I'm in for a set if you would be so kind. 
Are you thinking of assembling a full replacement seal set? I'd be into that

roro: are you telling me to get an oil seal and 2 backer rings?  Also do you require the petcock o-ring that seals to the fuel tank?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

The Prophet of Doom

Yes please that would be great.  I'll PM my address

vadasz1

So I went in to Toronto and picked up the items, including the petcock - fuel tank o-ring. 

A complete set will include:
1 oil seal
2 backer rings
1 petcock - fuel tank o-ring

For a total cost of $9 CDN taxes included.  Shipping is extra.

If you are coming to the Ontario ride this weekend I will see you there and we will make our trade.

If you want individual items then the cost is as follows:

oil seal $5
backer ring $2/ set of 2 pcs.
petcock - fuel tank o-ring $1

taxes will be extra... :)

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

JohnAMcG

Hey, that is a good deal.  Buy them separate and save a buck too! 
-JM

vadasz1

-JM:  seperate or bundles it will be the same since taxes are 13% here in Ontario, Canada.

$8 x 13%= $9.04  So I am giving ROV members a $0.04 discount.   ;D

CasaJones

Is it too late to get in on this deal or do I get to wait for the next shipment? :) 

Would love to get total of:
4 backer rings
2 petcock o rings
1 shaft seals
2 nose seals

Shipping to 77498 Texas,

Thanks.  That is an awesome find.

RJ
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

vadasz1

Quote from: CasaJones on June 01, 2011, 04:29:21 PM
Is it too late to get in on this deal or do I get to wait for the next shipment? :) 

Would love to get total of:
4 backer rings
2 petcock o rings
1 shaft seals
2 nose seals

Shipping to 77498 Texas,

Thanks.  That is an awesome find.

RJ

C_J, when you are referring to the shaft seal are you referring to the butterfly shaft seal that Cndlouie uses on his carb rebuilds?

CasaJones

vadaz

This is what I understand the shaft seal to be.

Shaft seal: that hard to find oil seal that goes inside the starter behind the shaft bearing (mostly made by Chicago Rawhide)

Is the shaft seal that cndlouie uses on carb rebuilds what you are referring to?

Thanks for the clarification

C_J

2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

johnclemens

If you don't mind a Honda part in your Yamaha the starter seal is a easy to get part from Honda.
Honda part number 91254-GK8-003 last time I ordered one it was about 6 bucks.

Seal size is S00 20 35 5
With that size number you can get them from any good bearing/seal house

vadasz1

Our starters have a starter seal size of 20mm x 35mmx 6mm.  So the Honda one is a bit on the thin side.  Also the ones I got are the double edge sealed ones and cost only $5 CDN + taxes.

sunburnedaz

Just FYI I ordered this kit because the starter was full of oil and the brushes were shot. It comes with a single lip seal with a garter spring on it. The rest of the kit seems to be of good quality as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_rdcZ1QQitemZ220751881963QQruZhttpQ3aQ2fQ2fwwwQ2eebayQ2ecomQ3a80Q2fschQ2fiQ2ehtmlQ3fQ5ffromQ3dR40Q26Q5ftrksidQ3dp3693Q2em570Q2el1313Q26Q5fnkwQ3d220751881963Q2bQ26Q5fsacatQ3dSeeQ2dAllQ2dCategoriesQ26Q5ffviQ3d1
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

darkvision

Hi, I checked my notes and the starter exterior o-ring that seal the start/engine case hole is 42mm (diameter ) x 2 mm ( cross section) . These are very hard to find and I refuse to pay yhte Yamaha dealer price of over $10 for it.  If you could get some of those it would be awesome.  Currently I use an 1.5" x 1/16"  o-ring commonly available in hardware stores and use lots of teflon tape as they a bit too small to completely seal it well. 
I recently fixed my starter , replacing the worn out brushes with some automotive starter brushes I found in a starter/generator/alternator repair shop that i bought for $5. I did have to grind them down to fit in the holders as they are  a bit too wide , thick and long but they are working great now. 
Vadasz, thanks for sharing this find and helping out the Vision community.
darkV