News:

Main Menu

Got my old bike back

Started by cvt, October 21, 2011, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvt

Hi guys,
I purchased my first Vision back in 2007. I had to swap the seized engine with one that I purchased from another member on this site ( Louthepou ). Worked out some of the other bugs the bike had, and for some reason decided to get a different bike and sell this one to my buddy. I regretted that decision for the last few years. So last week my friend that I sold my Vision to asks me if I want it back. He gave it back to me for free!

It broke down on him a while ago. It's been sitting behind his shed for the last couple of years. The engine is flooded, three out of the four fuses under the seat are blown, start/kill switch is taken apart ( it has parts missing ), the carbs sucked in a part of the foam gasket from the air filter, front brakes are not engaging, and the shifter seems to be stuck in neutral. I guess there is no such thing as a free bike? I'm going to have to spend some money on this. :o

This time I'm going to keep it and re build it slowly with my son. ;D

Any ideas on the shifter? It moves up and down but it does not feel like it is going in gear.

Rikugun

Congrats on the reacquisition! It sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you but I'm sure it will be well worth the effort.

Does the shifter move at all but not effect a gear change, or is it simply rusted fast?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

cvt

Quote from: Rikugun on October 21, 2011, 12:09:25 PM
Congrats on the reacquisition! It sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you but I'm sure it will be well worth the effort.

Does the shifter move at all but not effect a gear change, or is it simply rusted fast?

It moves, but it does not click into gear.

QBS

Sounds like maybe brutalized shifter forks.  Be prepared split the case and possibly replace lots of transmission pieces.

The Prophet of Doom

Check the adjustment height of the shift lever.  If it's adjusted too far, the mechanism where it goes into the bike will hit the casing and it won't change.

An oil change with a good semi-synth will also help shifting if there is a bit of internal misalignment

Rikugun

QuoteThe engine is flooded

Flooded with what? Gas or water? Have you drained the oil and what does it look like.

Oh, I should have asked first: Why did your buddy stop riding it? Transmission/shifting woes or something else?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

cvt

Quote from: Rikugun on October 21, 2011, 08:25:20 PM
QuoteThe engine is flooded

Flooded with what? Gas or water? Have you drained the oil and what does it look like.

Oh, I should have asked first: Why did your buddy stop riding it? Transmission/shifting woes or something else?

It was flooded with gas. He stopped riding it because it would not start for him. When he pushed the start button nothing would happen. The only way it would start for him is if he gave direct power to the starter.

cvt

After changing the oil and letting it sit over night, it appears that the shifting problem is gone.

Rikugun

The gremlins must have come out with the oil.  ;D

cvt