AppleJack! WAS in Da House! ...STOLEN

Started by YellowJacket!, March 15, 2011, 06:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shop Rat

Quote from: fret nut on March 28, 2011, 12:09:19 AM
Dave, take an assessment of your personality and that of the CBR.  Do they fit?  The CBR is a SPORT bike by TODAY'S standards, and I would guess you are less drawn to knee the dragging type riding and traffic tickets that sport bikes seem to bring, not to mention the insurance.  You want to work in the medical industry, not be a patient, right? :police:

Will selling the CBR cause any ill feelings between you and your friend that gave it to you?  Split the proceeds?   ;)

And don't forget all those troublesome Honda crotch-rocket quirks like short-lived stators, temperamental carb, starter clutch rattles and such. You sure don't want that.

Frank C.
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Tiger

::) As I've said many times...

8) BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS THAN ASK FOR PERMISSION  8)

;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...MAHUHAHAHAHAHA... :angel:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on March 28, 2011, 05:39:54 PM
::) As I've said many times...

8) BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS THAN ASK FOR PERMISSION  8)

;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...MAHUHAHAHAHAHA... :angel:

Yeah, unfortunately I think I'm wearing that one out.

On another note, we did actually talk about it last night and I may have made a temporary compromise.

My friend Cameron - the bike owner - spent the day working in my garage changing out the brakes on his car and then on mine.  YJ kept us company too and we talked about the restoration quite a bit.

Cameron's Ford Escape was totaled the other day - paid for but no collision insurance and a single car wreck - and I tried to talk him into selling his bike but he said he didn't want to mess with it.  Funny, it seems, especially after I offered to buy it but he still says he wants to give it to me.  So, I told him that if he wants to, we can work on getting it running and fixed up and then maybe he will want to sell it.  So, We are gonn atry to find a way to get it from NC to TN and then put it in my barn and work on it during our breaks from school - next one will be in June.  In the mean time, I have to clean out the garage, basement and storage barn to appease the wife.  Oh well....needed to do it anyway...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Good News...

Won't have to beg for forgiveness  as I asked her kindly...again...last night and she said yes, as long as it doesn't take over the garage like my Vision project did for over 2 years.   ;D   :o

So, we're heading out to NC next Tue or Wed to pick it up.   ;D

David

I think renting a carpet cleaner and cleaning all the carpets yesterday as well as weeding all the flowerbeds may have helped....    :-*

Re-Vision

YellowJacket!

Heading out tomorrow morning to pick up the CBR.  Should be beck sometime early evening and will try to have new pics and more details posted.  If not tomorrow night then definitely the next day.  Pretty excited about the new bike!

David

YellowJacket!

Its RED, Its Black, and Its Silver and it is dubbed AppleJack!  LOL... couldn't resist.  It is now home and is quite nice for its age and level of abuse in its lifetime.

It is officially a 2002 CBR 600F4i.  Overall it is in very nice shape - much nice than YJ was when I brought her home.  But YJ had less than 6K miles on her.  AJ has over a whopping 100k but looking at her you wouldn't think so.  Its gonna need some work but right now its actually rideable except for a dead battery which I'll replace tomorrow.  Most of the fairing bolts are gon and the fairing and all the plastics are held in place with zip ties.

Going to undress her tomorrow and see what else I can find.  She was last ridden over a year ago and the gas does not smell right so I'll have to drain the tank.  So, for the cost of renting a Ford F250 (Was a brand new full-cab with less than 1k miles) and a very large tank of gas...and about 12 hours of driving today, I have a pretty cool project with a lot of potential.  I think this one will take a bit longer than YJ since school is a priority but she will keep me occupied on my breaks between quarters.

Pics tomorrow.

David

YellowJacket!

Spent the day with my friend Cameron working on the CBR.  We started by cleaning up as much as we could and did some touchup work as well.  Painted a few parts including the windshield and replaced the zip ties with actual dome head hex bolts - thanks Lucky!

Ended up with major problems though.  Battery charged up fine on the regular charger and the bike would crank but would not start.  After reading the stuff on the CBR forums (ROV is much friendlier!) we determined that the fuel pump was bad which is apparently a common problem for this bike.  We pulled the tank and checked all the fuses and relay which were fine and the pump was getting power but just wouldn't spin.  So we pulled the pump assembly and hooked the motor up to the battery and no joy.  Yup, a bad fuel pump motor and they ain't cheap.  Banged it with a mallet several times and it still didn't work. So figuring that we'd hhave to fork over the $200.00 for a used one I decided to take it apart.  I carefully pried off the housing and slid it oof and used some electronics cleaner to clean things up a bit.  Then carefully turned the impellers until they spun freely.  Hooked it back up to DC and it worked!  Put everything back together and bolted the fairing back on after changing the oil.  Turned the key and hit the start button and she came to life as soon as I hit start!  WOOOHOOOO!!!

Too late now to take it out for a spin so I'll do that in the morning.  Have to tighten up the chain a bit too.  Got it registered today too so I could ride it.

A little bad news though. Cameron is going to keep it for a while because his car was totaled the other day and it was not insured so he's gonna use the bike to get back and forth to school until he can get a new car.

Oh, and the mileage is 15K not 150K...LOL. 

Here's a few pics I took today:

David

Lucky

Sexy!! :)  If I were Vicky...i'd be nervous too, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

spectre

:o < That pretty much sums up how I feel about the CBR. If I have anything to ad it's this: remember that you're going to have to rev the heck out of it to get off idle or you will stall, and they put out over 100 HP at the wheel, in other words, be careful!  :o
;D have fun.
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

YellowJacket!

heh heh heh.. probably a bit more than that.  It has a DynoJet Power Commander EX and aftermarket injectors.  Found quite a few goodies when I had her apart today.   :o   ;D

David

YellowJacket!

Seems as if some gremlins live in this bugger.  Either that or they jumped ship from the Vision...

Anyway, totally rebuilt the fuel pump motor and that is working but the rear brake master cylinder is frozen.  Caliper works OK but the piston in the MC is seized.  Tried a C-clamp and a long bolt but that didn't work so I gave it a good dousing in new brake fluid and popped it with a bit of compressed air..should have learned from the Vision Caliper.  Note to self... Repair hole in garage wall and find new Piston.

Anyway, the rebuild kit is 30.00 and a refurbed complete MC and resovior is 30.00 so I went for the refurb.   Has a 30 day guarantee too.  Should be riding it next week sometime.

David

Coil Coyle

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 30, 2011, 09:49:10 AM
Good News...

Won't have to beg for forgiveness  as I asked her kindly...again...last night and she said yes, as long as it doesn't take over the garage like my Vision project did for over 2 years.   ;D   :o

So, we're heading out to NC next Tue or Wed to pick it up.   ;D

David

I think renting a carpet cleaner and cleaning all the carpets yesterday as well as weeding all the flowerbeds may have helped....    :-*

<sniff!!!!>

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

$0.02
Coil

YellowJacket!

Well... bad news today.

My friend went outside this morning and all that was left of Applejack was a section of heavy duty security cable.  Applejack was stolen.  Police are no help and say that even though it just happened within the last few hours, the bike is long gone and they do not have the resources to track it down.  I bet they have the resources to prosecute whoever cuts the theives throat though.

David

Lucky

Wow, sorry to hear it..  sounds like Camerons' rides have the gremlins.. no luck at all :(

I don't remember anyone ever mentioning their Vision stolen (Spectre thinks that's funny)...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

spectre

Quote from: Lucky on June 29, 2011, 11:59:33 AM
Wow, sorry to hear it..  sounds like Camerons' rides have the gremlins.. no luck at all :(

I don't remember anyone ever mentioning their Vision stolen (Spectre thinks that's funny)...
Oh, MAN that sucks!! sorry to hear that dave :(
and I did think that was pretty funny (not that the CBR was stolen, that I've never heard of a vision being stolen ::) )
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

YellowJacket!

Quote from: YellowJacket! on March 15, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
Trouble seems to sneak up on me every so often and this time its in the form of another two wheel project.  One of my classmates has a mid 90's CBR 750 that was "dropped" and suffered a bit of cosmetic (only) damage.  He doesn't have any time or desire to do the work on it and its paid for and titled so he decided to GIVE it to me.  Yes, you heard correctly GIVE it to me.  I offered to pay him for it but he told me that he just wnats to get rid of it.  And yes, he has a valid title for it too...

So, sometime over the summer break from school, I will be moving a small cot out into my storage shed and making room for a new motorcycle next to me as my wife is...well, she's pretty pissed.  But, hey, it was free...just like YJ.

I'll post some pics after I get it home at some point.

David

YellowJacket!

Well, some good news.

Got a call this morning that the police actually found the bike.  A runner found the bike in the woods at the bottom of a hill along a running trail.  Police picked it up and took it to the impound and my friend Cameron went to "identify" it. 
Looks like the a$$ holes stuck a large screwdrive in the ignition and tried to torque it out so its shot.  Then they cut the wires and tried to hotwire it but did not succeed.  Then it looks like they tried to bump start it a few times on the hill and dropped it several times and then fianlly gave up.  However, whether its from dropping it or just out of anger, they pulled off all of the turn signals and cracked the front fairing.  They also scuffed up and cracked both side fairings and it looks like they used a hammer to knock the license plate off the back of the bike and dented the crap out of the tank.

Overall, not a total loss but we have to come up with the 80.00 to get it out of impound and find a way to get it back home.  Looks like it will be back in my barn again until I have the time and money to work on it which now, will be over a year from now when I get out of grad school.  Either that or I'll part it out...

David

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: spectre on June 29, 2011, 02:57:01 PM
Quote from: Lucky on June 29, 2011, 11:59:33 AM

Oh, MAN that sucks!! sorry to hear that dave :(
and I did think that was pretty funny (not that the CBR was stolen, that I've never heard of a vision being stolen ::) )
My vision can't be stolen because:

• no thief could ever figure out the starting ritual required
  • most of the time there are crucial bits missing
  • the gremlins would get them before they got 2 blocks away

YellowJacket!

Got the bike back today.  Cost $400.00 in towing an impound fees!  The rear wheel is cracked through and is useless.  Brake pedal, clutch lever are bent beyond use, fairing and headlight assembly are shattered...the lsit goes on.

David