My Bobbed Vision Cafe Street Fighter....

Started by Dibble, June 01, 2012, 10:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dibble

Well... I don't know if I'm just bored or what, but I've decided to do some tinkering with "Night Terror"... I've been "googling" all kinds of crazy ideas, and I'm pretty sure I have a "vision" of what I want the finished product to look like. My gf is very handy with photoshop, so I plan to come up with a concept soon!

One of the crazy ideas is a rear disk brake! I found that the Yamaha XS 1100 of the same era as the V has a rear shaft drive with disk brake... First problem is that the rear rim was 16" or 17"... More research needed on this one for sure!

Here's my wish list:
1) 83 front brake upgrade
2) Dominator dual front headlight
3) Dominator wind screen
4) clamp on bars
5) rear-set pegs
6) Custom tail section with a solo seat
7) Acewell intrument cluster

I've got big plans, but a small budget!!  ;D

Wish me luck!

Lucky

ive always thought my XS's rear disk could be adapted by someone who could do machine work...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Dibble

I've been looking at XS rear brake parts on ebay... I have access to a machine shop... The wheels are definitely turning!

The Prophet of Doom

I'm dead keen to get wire wheels on mine, but alas beyond my skills to fit
Big reward to anyone who can send me some that will fit the vision

Rick G

I seem to remember seeing an add showing that the Vision, also came with wire spoke wheels . Seems like some one on this forum, some years ago actually had one.

Me, I want a chrome front fender , possably from a 70's 400.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Rick, you could always get the stock one plastic chromed.

Rick G

Perhaps , but not in Kingman , I'd have to send it  away. Its  a thought though. :D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Raj1988

Wire wheel from the virago 535 will fit the shaft drive. You will need to get it relaced to an 18 in rim tho... stock is 16in chubby!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Dibble

You guys have got me thinking now!! Find a yamaha rear hub that fits the shaft drive and has a rear disk mount. Then lace it up with a proper sized rim!!

fret not

Why ever would anyone want wire spoke wheels instead of cast ones?  Wire wheels flex, need occasional tuning to keep them true, and are not to be run tubeless.  Now, if you are just looking for style, the sky and your imagination are the limit.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

Cast wheels are far more practical , But wire spoke wheels look much cooler.
Rick G

Dibble

So....... I've got my hands on a set of 83 forks!! I've also decided to go with 4 piston calipers and rotors off of a YZF.

Next dilemma is handle bars... I was going to go with clip-ons mounted below the top triple T, but I saw a really nice modified V triple T (thanks Raj!) set-up for clamp on bars...

A bigger problem is the fact that I moved into a condo and my bike is almost 2hrs away. Gotta find a place a little closer to work on it.

I'll post some "before" pics this weekend.

Raj1988

Good call on the YZF rotors and Calipers

Can't wait to see the final product, I know it will be good... Now give me that Wolf system damnit!

Dibble

LOL! Sorry Raj...the Wolf stays for now... I picked up some scrap stainless steel woven mesh to try as packing in the silencer. Curious to see if it changes the sound. I do want to build a custom under tail exhaust at some point (I have a bit of OCD regarding symmetry  ;D ).

The Prophet of Doom

You made me look. I'd do the same if it was easy enough.   The pics I saw of YZF rotors have 5 mounting holes, the vision has 6.  How are you working around that one?

There's a XZ550 cafe racer build log on Kiwi Biker - a really nice guy just a few km from me.  He sold it, but it's still sitting in his back yard.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/142215-Cafe-Racer-XZ550

Note that he used Tokico 4 pot calipers and complete front brake setup off a Suzuki TL1000

Dibble

I've seen that thread. If you read carefully he actually ended up using R1 rotors... They need to be 98-01.

Raj1988

Where did you get them? I am thinking of doing the same for my single rotor

Dibble

I haven't got them yet... Ebay has a huge assortment. There are some really fancy brand new ones available, but they're from China... I'm skeptical of the quality.

Lucky

or the availabilty of replacement parts. at least with manufacturer items you can almost allways get rebuild kits & such...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Dibble

Here are some pics of my starting point...