News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

shifting

Started by arthurdent510, June 07, 2011, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

So going from riding my speed triple to the vision, the shifter feels like a wet noodle.  Shifting has never been very good on my v, and I think I'm spoiled by the Triumph.  I shift of the Triumph and the shifter feels tight and shifts with a solid click.  The shifter on the Vision feels very loose and there's no good indication that it actually shifts, there's almost no feedback when it does shift.  Most times it's just letting the clutch out and seeing if it actually shifted.  This isn't typical, is it?  Or do I have lose/worn shift drums or bad forks?  Any thoughts?

Lucky

you might, but it's not typical.. to me my Visions seem pretty tight. ive no experience on a Triumph though...

Start with the basics, how is the linkage? is it loose or worn? check the engine lower mount bolts. i've seen them loosen up & shifting turns to mush...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

I know what you mean.  I rode a speed trippple once.  Nice gears, they just sort of go snick snick snick.
None of my visions have ever done that.  It's pretty easy to slot it into a false neutral if you have a lazy foot.
Make sure your clutch is engaging properly - mine tended to drag a little, also if your shifter is set too low it grazes the footpeg mount and makes shifting much harder.

I am now running semi synth oil and that helps immeasurably with getting good positive gear changes, and helps the spin-up time also.  If you haven't tried a good semi-synth (Castrol GTS or Repsol)I would highly recommend it.

Night Vision

I would suspect clutch cable adjustment... loosen the cable at the perch and see if that helps.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

I feel that Yamaha really saved $ on the shift linkage.  Mine has a lot of slop that can really be anoying and make the shifting feel uncertain.  The problem is agrivated by the amount of vibration the linkage is subjected to.  I would love to find some really high quality ball connectors and a set of new, unworn shifter lingage ball ends.