News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

The ultimate garage

Started by The Prophet of Doom, May 02, 2012, 04:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

The financial controller has finally released my Christmas bonus, so I get to go on a minor spending spree. Whoot!  My policy is that bonuses have to be spent on things that I want, not need so this year I've decided to improve my workshop space.  It's a 7m x 5m single car garage and other than providing room for a freezer and a bicycle belonging to her-indoors it's all mine to do what I want with.

Apart from posters and calendars of naked chicks on motorcycles, what would you buy to put into the ultimate visionary workshop space?

Photos of other peoples workshops would be appreciated.

Lucky

I guess that depends on how in depth you want to go..  do you often fab up parts, or fix things when modifications may be needed? just general maintenance or frame-off rebuilds?

i'd say, at minimum: good lighting, large sturdy bench, computer, roller tool box, (big as you could afford for cost & space). bench grinder, drill press, sonic cleaner, bench vice, charging station, air compressor, parts storage, chemical storage, shop vac, first aid & spill station..

Also good to have: lift table, celing hoist, hot & cold running water, etc,

I started with a 10x14 shed, filled that up, then took over the car port, filled that up, attached the shed & enclosed the carport & that's STILL not enough room...  I hope the next place I live has a big barn....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

Those are some very good recommendations and I really like that you mentioned good lighting straight off.

If you do fabrication work I'd add an oxy acetylene rig and electric welder.  My parts washer doesn't get used frequently but when you need one they sure are nice to have around.  :)

Something you hope never to need but good to have - fire extinguisher.  :o
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

I found a surplus electronic work bench (desk with drawers,lighting and storage) from Lockheed aircraft that I have thoroughly enjoyed.     BDC

Lucky

CNC machine & a parts printer!!  :) :) :D :D

lexx790

Just bought a Raglan Littlejohn lathe, dated 1947 but still better than any of the Chinese imports.
Also a good selection of tools to go in the toolboxes.

fret not

Lucky, apparently you haven't yet learned one of life's great truths, that no matter how much space you have you will fill it. 

Roro, get stuff you know how to use.  There is no sense in having tools that are never used.  Lots of tools are handy to have when you need them but unless they are to be used with reasonable frequency I would not get them.

I have given up my gas welding set up and my lathe because they took up more room than I am willing to give and the welding bottles had rent on them.  I miss them from time to time but get along without them.  Those are very handy tools IF they get used with regularity.  A busy shop could not be without them.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

Reminded me of a guy I worked for in Houston some years ago. Every work surface was covered up with his last project and all I had to do to work him to death was to start clearing off work bench counter tops.     BDC

Rick G

I have two sheds and a "patio cover"  One shed has a small bench with a very large vise and shelves down both sides and the end . It is stuffed to the gills with vision parts , with a small area for garden tools. It has two florescent lights and started as a 8 x 6 shed . I expanded it to 8 x 14 .
The second shed is 10 x 10 had has the much larger work bench , a bench grinder, mounted on a pedestal, a small buzz box welder , a 2 hp compound air compressor , the roll away tool box and some shelving that is always over loaded. A nice (free) metal cabinet arrived last spring, which helped reduce clutter. I can get my torches out of my HVAC van,if I need them , as well as a sawzall. It has two lights as well.
The patio cover is over the atv/motorcycle lift. and has lights to work at night, during Arizona summers.The first shed has wooden floor, the second is concrete. the patio cover is a plank platform, to keep the hoist out of the dirt. I have various air tools , grinders , dremels . The only thing I don't have is enough room. I'm maxed out on sheds (local ordinance) and code (and poverty) prevents me from building a garage. I can put up a car port , if i live long enough!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VisionMeister

Don't forget your fire extinguisher... seriously.
I've got a friend with a dream garage, milling machine, lathe, sheet metal rollers, paint booth the works.
He almost lost it when a Gold Wing he was tuning spit back and lit up the carbs.
He had never thought about the possibility of a fire.

Rikugun

QuoteDon't forget your fire extinguisher... seriously

Well that must be a good idea - it's allready been suggested!  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kevin

With the sale coupon out of one of the motorcycle magazines, the harbor freight motorcycle lift is $300.00. I'm getting too old to work off the floor.

Rick G

I have a fire extinguisher too. I had two hoist's, a lighter one which used to reside in the shed , under the work bench and the larger H F hoist . When I got the larger compressor , something had to go so I sold the smaller hoist , to My friend and BMW fanatic Mike Custer.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Autozone sells the cradle part of a motorcycle lift in the store that goes on a regular floor jack for.. $40. i'll have to double check the price...

Tiger

With the garage empty...look at your floor first!!! Make sure its level, cracks/holes, etc are filled in properly and then cover it in an epoxy resin type paint or, as I have done (thanks Kenny!!), laid down a Grey, nonslip, heavy duty 'diamond plate' vinyl floor covering... 8)

Good lighting is important, as is a source of heat!!!...but do not forget power outlets/plugs!!!!!!

Next, look at the storage you require/the parts that need a permanent home!!!...nuts, bolts, washers, screws, electrical connectors, heat shrink, wire ties, etc, etc...used floor standing/wall mounted kitchen cabinets/drawer systems can be had free/pretty cheap...check the local 'free' section of Craig's List, etc, for your area ;)...or you can shell out for new, professional grade storage, your choice... :-\

A good sturdy work bench, hand/power tools/tool box, lift table, Vice, parts washer, bench grinder, drill press, air compressor/air line/tire inflator/gauge, shop vac, fire extinguishers, oil drain pan, a container to dump old oil in to!!! (I use a 20 Ltr/5 Gal pail, which I can take to the local authorised disposal site when full)...hot & cold running water, small stainless steel bar  sink, decent quality hand soap, paper towels/shop rags, first aid box/eye wash station, and of course...a bar fridge with a couple of bar stools!!!

The answer is 'yes', I do have all of these in my single car garage, just ask the 'local' Visionaries ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

Yes pictures! 
I use empty liquid detergent bottles for used oil, when I have a a half dozen , I make the rounds at auto parts stores and give them all they will take. here in AZ if you wait too long , the UV destroys the cap.
Rick G

Kevin

Tiger needs a bigger garage

Rick G

Rick G

67GTO

There is no such thing as too big of a garage!
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV