News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Clip-ons

Started by rockinjer, August 19, 2010, 02:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinjer

I have been very curious about installing clipons instead of my tall 82 risers\bars i have searched through the forum and found some links of photos that are no longer available, the only one i can find is TREEDRAGONS bike,

Can anyone please post some pics of clipons installed on the vision?

Thanks - JER :)
1982 XZ550

cpwall

I don't have pics yet, by I'm getting a pair made for my V, along with a custom plate to replace the risers as the triple tree clamp, soIdon't have to hacksaw mine.  Soon as I get them back, hopefully by next week, I'll show you some pics.  A friend of mine is CNCing them, and I"m sure he'd make another pair for a reasonable price.

rockinjer

Quote from: cpwall on August 19, 2010, 02:24:29 PM
I don't have pics yet, by I'm getting a pair made for my V, along with a custom plate to replace the risers as the triple tree clamp, soIdon't have to hacksaw mine.  Soon as I get them back, hopefully by next week, I'll show you some pics.  A friend of mine is CNCing them, and I"m sure he'd make another pair for a reasonable price.

That would be awesome I'm anxious to see them
1982 XZ550

treedragon

These are the ones I used     http://www.guzzino.com/toadcl.html  (just using that website because it was the first with a good pic)

They are three way adjustable, had to use a thin pipe spacer around the fork leg. I use them to get the exact placement for me as I am a great believer in getting the the bike to fit you not the other way around, currently I am only using 2 sections now I have altered the fairing.

rockinjer

Quote from: treedragon on August 20, 2010, 03:45:42 AM
These are the ones I used     http://www.guzzino.com/toadcl.html  (just using that website because it was the first with a good pic)

They are three way adjustable, had to use a thin pipe spacer around the fork leg. I use them to get the exact placement for me as I am a great believer in getting the the bike to fit you not the other way around, currently I am only using 2 sections now I have altered the fairing.

Thanks Tree im gonna have to get me a pair of those. but i dont want to spend over $100 ill keep my eyes open
1982 XZ550

The Prophet of Doom

I just bought a pair of used clipons from a FZR250.  The fork inner diameter is correct at 35mm
Not so adjustable, but not so costly either.  I should have mounting pics by the end of the weekend

rockinjer

NICE! cant wait to see them on
1982 XZ550

munkyfistfight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-35mm-Aluminum-Clip-On-Handle-Bars-Motorcycle-Cafe-/160745758620?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d319f9c&vxp=mtr#ht_2623wt_905

These looks nice for $80. Any word on that custom plate for the fork clamp/triple tree? I thought about scrapping an old pair of risers with a grinder. Clip-ons would look super cool on the V.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

The Prophet of Doom

Re-post from "Going Racing"

jefferson

One way to keep your ground clearance and still have the clipons above the top triple clamp would be to have some custom fork tubes made by Franks that would be longer so they would stick up above the triple clamp to attach the clipons to. Don't have any idea how much they would be, but I know I had ground clearance issues that turned out to be a shorter than stock Fox shock. It kind of limits your corner speed and can get dangerous if you ground something rather hard.

Jeff

iain

The best person to talk to about this is Treedragon ,I'm sure he will know what the safe limits are that the tubes can  come through the triple tree

Earth to treedragon come in treedragon

Iain
NZ
W.S.M.A

Rikugun

QuoteOne way to keep your ground clearance and still have the clipons above the top triple clamp would be to have some custom fork tubes made by Franks that would be longer so they would stick up above the triple clamp to attach the clipons to

Jefferson, that's a good idea. I wonder if there's another model Yamaha fork tube that would work?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

treedragon

treedragon to iain - requesting permission to land.............  ::)

I progressively tried from zero to a bit beyond 36mm. I found the 30 - 36mm range improved the bike handling noticeable even in a straight line. Beyond 36mm it started to go "off", or if I raised the ride height on the rear shock with the front at 36mm it went "off". Mind you much beyond 36mm is getting into "lets drive the mudguard through the bottom triple tree" territory.........

Defining "off"  - sort of stiff and peculiar plank like, (reminds me of walking on the edge of a plank just before it slams down flat, hopefully without a foot underneath......... no don't ask).

The ground clearance isn't really an issue, the front lowered by 36mm means the pipes are maybe 8 mm lower just under the front pipes, it's a combination of laziness and idiocy that grinds pipes we excel at it over here, it appears to be a source of national pride even.

There are many sources of national pride to be found in NZ, here is just one small example   http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

There is always a way

QBS

TreeD., OR...fill cooler with six pac, add 10lbs crushed ice, add rock salt, wait 20 minutes, enjoy cold beer.  Never the less, it's the challenge that counts.  I understand.