News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Drive shaft bearing and oil seal.

Started by simcha, January 26, 2014, 03:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simcha

Ha anyone ever replaced the bearing and oil seal that is inside the swing arm? Both the bearing and seal are damaged in the unit I have and need replacing. Looking carefully at the bearing I can see it is marked BA308Z. This is a 1 7/8" ID x 2 1/4" OD roller bearing according to the data I have found on the internet. Is it really a imperial size and not metric? Would the oil seal be the same OD and ID? The bearing is cheap and available next day for around £9.00 if that is correct but I cannot find an oil seal that is the correct size.
Has anyone any data or a seal you could measure?
Lastly has anyone ever taken the bearing and seal out? If so how did you do it? I think I could get in with a small grinder and weaken the bearing and then collapse it with a small pin punch? Any better idea?

Cheers Simon

The Prophet of Doom

I've got the bearing size written down as  O.D. 31 x I.D. 24 x width 28.  Can't guarantee it though - when I actually ordered a pair they were by bike model and had an unspecified size.

Here's the thing though, there is no oil seal on the XZ swingarm.  There's a metal thrust washer and a cap with a rubber insert, but it's not a seal as such.  If you mean that, I don't know where you would get that except from Yamaha.

Taking the bearing out is easy - just drift it through from the opposite side with a long handled screwdriver taking care not to scratch up the inside of the swingarm.  Press it back in with a clamp made of threaded rod and some washers.  See Haynes for good instructions

fret not

Simon, are you referring to the swing arm pivot bearings or the bearing for the drive shaft?  Guessing from your description you are referring to the unavailable bearing and seal from Yamaha that supports the end of the drive shaft.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!