News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

POLL: What year XZ550 do you have?

Started by RedBaron, December 15, 2011, 11:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year XZ550 do you have?

33 (68.8%)
8 (16.7%)
Both 82 and 83, I cannot choose, OMG I always had a hard time making decisions, it's so true!
7 (14.6%)
other (Our Euro and other friends who live where they sold them for several more years, the lucky stiffs)
0 (0%)
Who cares? I'm an XZ400 driver, yeah baby!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

RedBaron

Quote from: Brian Moffet on December 21, 2011, 07:29:46 PM
To make things clear, I am not in the market to sell my bike.  Unless someone makes me an offer that is pretty much outrageous, then I might consider it.  I like my bike, but I'm not stupid  ;D

Of course. One can have two bikes. So, feast your eyes on the 750 twin of the Gods...

RB
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

QBS

RedBaron

Yes, and I had pancakes at Sloan's Eurofest pancake and a demo ride in Murfreesboro.  Is that not the greatest? They feed you breakfast and let you wear out their demonstrators.  Life is good in the Southland. When I go to a 750, assuming I still want to after rebuilding this XZ,  the old style V7 Classic is the one I am thinking I will go to. 

RB

don_vanecek

Like you Brian, I bought my 1982 Vision new in 1984 and it's been my only bike.  Now don't think I don't google all the other bikes around but being a modest worker for a State agency, having six kids, house payment, all those other things, and that a MC in NE really is a "toy" (oh, but such a fun toy) there just hasn't been any money for another bike AND the Vision does everything I need a MC to do anyway!   

AdvRich

An '82 and three 83's all with full fairings

spectre

I think maybe you should add the Xz400's too, I've always wondered about them... just a thought   :)
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

jasonm.

I had both the '82 and '83 at the same time. sold the '82. '83 is still mine. Had it since '93. The V& classic Guzzi is a nice bike. But a friend had the engine die after just a year. Seems hers consumed oil more than expected. Death via lack of oil...so the dealer said. But the XZ will eat one up on the road. The V7 has a whole mighty 45hp... on a good day. Where a well tuned '83 should have 50-55hp at the rear wheel. Remember that classic requires tubes in the tires. I have had too many flats to ever use tubes again.  The V7 is simply a very good "starter bike" w/true top speed of 100mph....gee my XZ it's that in 4th gear   :D...been verified.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

RedBaron

Quote from: spectre on December 23, 2011, 02:57:51 PM
I think maybe you should add the Xz400's too, I've always wondered about them... just a thought   :)

Good idea. Done.

RB

Rikugun

That's a sharp Moto Guzzi - in it's own way!  ;)

I appreciate most bikes including the Guzzi. I don't see them often but it's nice when I do. I never got to ride one although I have ridden several 500 and 650 Honda "versions" and liked the power delivery.  They were kinda weird but had some endearing qualities. Just like a Vision.  :D

Here's a Sunday morning bike spot I've frequented that is sure to have a few V-twins.
http://britchop.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Sunday-At-The-Ring/10762272_c6FKnx#1240245830_fdhfM

:)I made it to the gallery on page 13 with my red '82 Kawasaki 550  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

All mine have been '82s , but this one has '83 front forks and brakes , as well as an '83 shock. I sold off the '83 foot rests and shift / brake controls as  well as the handle bar risers , as none of it suited me. I fabricated a crown with handle bar mounts , so I can use any bar that suits me. I'm not a fan of the '83 carbs , mostly because I could find none for parts. In my opinion a properly set up set of '82 carbs ic easily a match for the '83 carbs 
I now have a spare bike a VX800 suxuki . Its not a match for the Vision , but is a nice bike for a long ride, as long as the ride is on a straight road.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Charmac

Hello everyone, this is my first post but been lurking for several months waiting to be registered. Great forum...

I have purchased and 82, tank is is a plum color, and side panels black. PO did not do much to the V and was park for several years. I owned a Vision back when you could by them in a show room and owned it for several years before it was stolen from me. So this is my first ride since then, previous wife was dead against me owning a motorcycle and money was tight. Current wife likes bikes and kids are all grown up.

I decided to rebuild V over the winter, thanks to the this forum i have already rebuilt the starter, and currently rebuilding/cleaning the carbs.

Looking forward to learning more about my V. Does anyone know if the Vision came in a plum color, i suspect that it has been repainted, and there might be a leak in the fuel tank. I have read that POR 15 is the way to go, is it available in Canada and if so were can i purchase a jug. i'll leave it a that for know as i know i will have many more questions in the near future.

Marc

QBS

Welcome former lurker.  Don't think plum was a US color.  I got my POR 15 kit off the net.  Don't remember exctly where.  All the best.

Re-Vision

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

that link for wikipedia lists USA colors for '82 as red, and silver.  I have a black '82 and thought most were black.  Am I mistaken? ???
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Fret Net, I've said this before - Wiki is not an authoritative source, just what someone has entered (hopefully referenced) from what they know.  If you know more, then press the "Edit this page"  button and make it correct.  That's how Wiki works.
Once everyone puts in every bit that they know wikipedia will be correct

Re-Vision

The 82 I bought in eighty-two was black because the Yamaha dealer told me that black was all he could get.     BDC

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Charmac

Tiger is right, anyone located in this area? Would be great to have someone local to brain pick.

Tiger

Quote from: Charmac on January 02, 2012, 09:57:31 PM
anyone located in this area? Would be great to have someone local to brain pick.

louthepou is just outside of Ottawa 8)

Kenny is just beside Kingston  8)

Get in touch with both. Look in their profiles for contact info'... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!