Two steps forward, one step back

Started by inanecathode, March 21, 2009, 03:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

So i installed the euro primary gears today and the new coolant tube orings. It doesnt leak or overheat, yet. Pretty extensive stuff actually, never been in that deep before.
Much to my dismay however either an errant punk or the wind either knocked it off on purpose, or gravity did, but i found my vision upright and with the right hand mirror on the ground this morning with the corner where it mounts totally demolished. No new major scratches that i can find so either i got very lucky and the only thing that broke when it fell over and got put back up was the mirror, or some asshole hit the mirror with something. I also noticed the starter clutch rattle after i started it up after putting the gears in as well. Just as well though, theres a pretty gnarly leak on the left side case that im hoping to god is the cover to the case and not the clutch arm hole or something that would actually cost money to replace...
Overall a pretty good day, got some nagging problems taken care of that im pretty proud about (other than that god damn slow return to idle. I couldnt find it last year and i dont think this year will be any different  >:()
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

mine has a slow to return to idle occasionally , I think the butterfly shaft seals may be weak.  I found it quite a lot on old XS650's.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on March 21, 2009, 03:11:09 AM
gravity did,

Chill out Cathode. You're putting a negative pre-load on your Karma when you think that shit.
;)

8)
Coil

The Prophet of Doom

A few years ago some local hoods high on P or E or F or something walked from one end of town to the other with a metal pipe, smashing car mirrors, windows and lights on every parked car they came across.  They reportedly did over 1/2 million dollars of damage in that one night which doesn't surprise me, my mirror cost nearly $1000 to replace as it was one of those motorised heated types.
My insurance company replaced it, but wouldn't pay to get it sprayed the same colour.

supervision

I like to lift the front wheel off the ground, using a bottle jack, under the engine. I was trying to slip a wide very short drain pan, under the front tire, so I could drain both forks, at once, in one pan.  I went too far up and when the rear wheel contacted the ground, the bike lost balance, and fell on it's right side.  It was unbelievable!   It made a giant noise, Trevor came running to my rescue, and we lifted the bike back up.  The brake peddle got bent into the side case, denting it, the front brake lever got a tiny bend in it, and the 82 sport fairing got a nice break, along the base of the windshield.  It was hard to go ahead and change the fork oil, but I made myself, and all was well. 
" border="0

The Prophet of Doom

What we need is someone to desgn us some frame mounted sliders so that we are not breaking fairings etc all the time.

I's happily pay for a decent solution - who's clever enough?

YellowJacket!

Seems like falling Visions has been a "Rite of Passage" lately for many of us.  The Grmlins are getting creative.

Sorry to hear the bad news.  At least you weren't on it when it happened.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

pullshocks

I got that over with last summer.  Luckily the fairing lowers were off, but it broke my brake pedal and I ended up denting the tank

Brian Moffet

If it falls over and has a fairing and you don't dent the tank, you're lucky...  No, not Lucky, just lucky :-)

Rick G

During the second day of the '05 visit of the CArov ,I  tried to juggle my brand new helmet and move my bike at the same time. I ended up saving the helmet and dropping the bike . I broke my front brake lever and  right front turn signal (the big old fashioned  turn signals save a lot of the damage to a dropped bike)  I seem to bust a turn signal a year, I'm hoping I have enough  to last me! :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

I had a Shoie  helmut, first day I dropped it, put a nice nick in the paint        One time a guy gave me a cooper mx250, he had owned it sence new. It had been sitting  in his garage. and was low hours.  I took it apart and paint the frame, put it back together, it was looking beautifull.   I took it to a ahrma mx at Sandhill,  I should have used a nylox nut in the air box, as the nut came off and went thru the piston, on about the second lap of practice.  I gave that sucker away, just to get out of my sight
" border="0