News:

Main Menu

new member XZ400

Started by dingleberry, July 17, 2013, 04:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

G'day guys. Been looking here a while, good info. Great to see plenty of enthusiastic owners.

I have an XZ400 that is undergoing a cafe/tracker modification at the moment (early days).

My trouble at the moment is the starter motor has given up working.

So my question at the moment is what is the cheapest option for rebuilding/second hand parts in New Zealand.

If any fellow kiwis wish to contact, or meet up for a ride (road or dirt) let me know.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Hey mate,
There are two of us regular RoV posters in Christchurch Iain, and myself .  I know of a couple of others with XZ400s.  My bike and both Iain's are getting a bit of winter loving at the moment so no riding, but always happy for a beer and a show and tell.

Are you sure it's the motor not something else electrical? Starter buttons, connectors and relays can give some troubles.  Try a jumper cable from the starter motor terminal to battery +ve to be sure.  I never found a kit locally so got a re-build kit off ebay.  Search for "xz550 starter repair kit"  The 400 and 550 starters are the same.

jefferson

Don't forget the oil in the starter. That is the first thing I would check.

Jeff

dingleberry

Thanks for the replies. Oil was present in starter but after a thorough clean out had working for some time.
All electrical is ok, think I have burnt out from turning over too much from a car battery. It nearly got the second cylinder firing. Has been laid up for too long me thinks...
Starter motor has died, won't work on bench with battery.
Always keen for a beer Roro would love to seewhat you've done to your bike. Got a link to your pics?
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Pics of my current build can be seen here - it rambles on a bit.
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13508.0

Rick G

I 'm always glad to see more Kiwi's on the forum , You all seem to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic  blokes .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dingleberry

Cheers Rick. Enthusiastic I am but sadly lacking in knowledge. Unfortunately my presence here will be mainly limited to asking questions. :)
You like, oui?

QBS

Welcome to the Forum.  If your questions will keep one more V on the road, they are worth it.

Rick G

Ask away , they answere are here!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike