News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Polished Wheels

Started by iain, February 14, 2009, 12:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

HI Guy's,

Have any of you polished the shiny aluminium strip around the front and rear wheels. Well not so much polished, but sanded back and used a buffing wheel on it to reclaim it's original shine. The main reason I am asking, has anyone done it and does it work successfully. As I have a few scratched on the wheels, a simple polishing cream is not going to cut the mustard.

Thanks
Iain
NZ

Night Vision

search posts by Kevin. he likes to polish wheels and they do look good.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Iain,  The wheels are not clear coated. I use a synthetic sheep's wool buffing pad and Mother's polishing  compound , which produces a like new finish. You might try something like this before you start sanding.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Iain you are obsessed with bling bling.  By the time you have got your bike together it will look like it belongs in a Turkish brothel.

Nothing looks as good as wheels in any condition actually on your bike and whizzing along the road   :D

Cdnlouie

It's a bear of a job but worth it! You have to strip the clearcoat (fortunately no clearcoat on the Vision wheels) with sandpaper (wet the best) and then buff it out with a buffing wheel (and the buffing compound - start with black and go to red rouge to finish). You pretty much have to use a drill and buffer to work around the rim.  I have not done the Vision yet, but managed to do my Venture front rim last winter and it was definitely fun...fun...fun  ::)  But when its done they stay perfect. Get rid of the clearcoat and life is definitely improved. Being a bling addict is a curse!

Kevin

Sorry I missed this post until now. I wet sanded the ribs smooth with #400 paper and again with #600 & #1500. Then a little Mothers or Simichrome Polish. The wheels are not clear coated like the fork lowers and motor side covers.

iain

Thanks Kevin for that picture, it  inspires me to continue with my quest to improve the look  of my Vision.

Iain
NZ

PS rohan [roro] You seem to be  quite familiar with the inside of a Turkish brothel. you may want to share your experiences with the rest of the group at a later date???????? :-[

67GTO

On my 82 I used semi-gloss black paint and a foam brush to paint the black parts of the wheel.
It worked great and I did not need to mask anything off.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

The Prophet of Doom