News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Dean's Vision

Started by Coil Coyle, March 11, 2009, 12:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Tonight after the Aquarium we are driving up to Santa Clara to pick up the 83 that Dean Nichols posted a few months ago.

I'll post pictures VIN, etc. when we get them.

;)
Coil

Coil Coyle

It's RK #1508, has a bad stator, 57K miles, Fox Shok and I have not moved it into the shop yet.

We had a good time at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, slept in the Bravada and just generally had a working class vacation. There's still strange people in some parts of California, that was good to see.

I'll try to get it ready to do the Spring CROV ride.

;)
Coil

Brian Moffet

what happened to that fairing?

Coil Coyle

I don't know. He mentioned Vandalism when riding it to work.

There's no hole in the instruments so it wasn't a bullet.

;D
Coil

Night Vision

put a sticker over it

looks pretty good.... nice recovery
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

It looks like it was hit by an RPG that didn't detonate  :D :D
Great recovery, the Fox shock is worth more than the bike.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

8) Nice one Jim...and another one saved and going back on the road... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

The Prophet of Doom

Kind of reminds me of the hole in the pentagon.  It was probably a Boeing that hit it

Walt_M.

Yeah, with the new administration, the Pentagon hit would probably be classified as vandalism.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Coil Coyle

Well I got started on this one over the weekend.

It's 11H...01508

Drained the oil and found one tiny straight sliver of carbon steel on the filter, maybe a gear flake or tab edge.

The stator plug was toasted on one phase. All stator windings read 0.40/ 0.42 ohm after compensating for the FLUKE test leads. To ground the windings read 100 M ohm with the 9 volt meter, I haven't tested at 500 volts yet.

Went to check the flywheel for the fix and found the stock length bolts in place with a significant center punch dimple in the center of each. Thought I'd pull it anyway and confirm the clutch is good.

Found the crank center has been smashed outward with the tapered end of a puller and it did not pull with the puller as tight as I want to push on the stock bolt with the washer pulled. I'm going to get a hex bolt and bottom the head against the crank before I really torque down on the puller.

At this point I just know that it is not going to be an easy pop.

On the yellow windshield I began with 220 and water sanding horizontal and vertical until the water was yellow and the plastic wasn't.
Then I did 400 wet until the water came of with no brown and the windshield was a nice smooth opaque. Then I polished with Turtle wax Rubbing compound with a rotary buffer using the foam pad until I didn't see many scratches. Followed with Turtle wax Polishing compound on a wool pad and got a real nice clear with minor scratches vertical and horizontal. If I did it again I would start with 320. quit after I just broke the worst of the yellow off and then follow with the 400 until the yellow was all gone.

I hope to ride it to the Oregon Vintage Motorcycle meeting next Saturday.

;)
Coil 

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Walt_M. on March 26, 2009, 07:44:13 AM
Yeah, with the new administration, the Pentagon hit would probably be classified as vandalism.

Walt,
         The Pentagon hit should be classified as "Magic".  ::)

Disappearing Auditors. Disappearing Jet Engines. Disappearing Security Cams.

David Copperfield couldn't have done it better.
;D
Coil

Night Vision

Copperfield made a whole jet disappear... I saw it! ..... or did I?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

I cut a concave recess into a hex head cap screw to hold the rounded end of my puller screw and then torqued it into the crank with a flat washer against the crank.
Torqued the puller to 80 Ft/Lb, put a socket on the puller ( Thanks, Rick_G, a bigger target ! ) and gave the puller a swing with the 8 pound sledge.

Popped it right off
8)

Inspecting the crank end I realized that the crank had not been wedged with a puller end but had been centered to mount it on a lathe. I'm assuming that some kind of crank work was done to it. At 57 K miles that is good news.

The starter clutch housing is good but the inner race with the gear that is driven by the starter has many longitudinal dimples from roller pressure around its O.D. so I'm going to replace it with a lower mileage piece.

After work this morning I'm going to install my toasted stator with the test "air cooling" that I had on "Hussein" when I rode it to Rick's last year to continue that test program.

I'm going to check compression as a shim check. If I don't have to do shims I'll make the OVM meeting this Saturday with this bike.

;)
Coil

Coil Coyle

Last night I did two starter clutch fixes. Cut the bolt lengths to 14 mm and center drilled them. The center drill leaves a small taper that helps start the mashing of the bolt threads. By beating the center with a shallow angle on the end of the punch they spread real nice.

Tonight I drilled two crank bolts. The smallest drills I had access to were 0.040" and the 0.7 mm from Extent's posted drawing is about 0.027" so I made my orifices longer. One is 0.400" and one is 0.500" long. Made the bolt through holes 0.10" and came in from both ends. The hex heads were easier to center on so I made my long holes from that end and then drilled the orifices from the threaded end after center drilling to 0.220", that gave a small inner taper at the orifice end.

I'm going to put the longer one in first and see how the oil pressure reads.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll have pictures of the OVM meet later this morning that include this bike.

8)
Coil