News:

Main Menu

YICS & flapper

Started by Kid Jedi, April 08, 2009, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) One of the great things about the ROV is that we ALL learn from each other...I mean that is why we are ALL here, RIIIIGHT 8)

I will never dis anyone for trying, quite the opposite...Kid Jedi I applaud your enthusiasm, go for it and let us know your findings as you go along... 8)

A wise man once said: "Great Oak trees from little acorns grow"... 8)

Failing to overcome something is not the same as not trying!!!...(Tiger)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Kid , go for it , but remember , the requirements for a race track engine are far differant, than a engine used on the street in traffic or in the twisties. The last thing I need is a hiccup, while heeled over , dodging donkey crap and blow sand on Oatman road. I want smooth predictable performance not max horse power from a dyno run.
Anyone remember what the Memphis Shades Vision is running for carberation.?

Sometimes I have trouble accepting different ideas from younger Visionaries. Inane used to piss me off, he's so smart and has a great grasp of theory . I got over it and have learned from him . I'm an old wrench and approach problems from a different direction. Its all based on the time it takes to repair something, = cost of repair. If its going to take too much time , the customer is not going to want to pay for it, at least not many. I have to be able to short cut it by anticipating what is wrong and just replace to offending part . This is called experience . You get where you don't have to check the whole chain of connections you go to the offending part, based on your experience.

So dig in and solve this and let us know what you find.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on April 10, 2009, 03:36:20 PM
Kid , go for it , but remember , the requirements for a race track engine are far differant, than a engine used on the street in traffic or in the twisties. The last thing I need is a hiccup, while heeled over , dodging donkey crap and blow sand on Oatman road. I want smooth predictable performance not max horse power from a dyno run.
Anyone remember what the Memphis Shades Vision is running for carberation.?

Sometimes I have trouble accepting different ideas from younger Visionaries. Inane used to piss me off, he's so smart and has a great grasp of theory . I got over it and have learned from him . I'm an old wrench and approach problems from a different direction. Its all based on the time it takes to repair something, = cost of repair. If its going to take too much time , the customer is not going to want to pay for it, at least not many. I have to be able to short cut it by anticipating what is wrong and just replace to offending part . This is called experience . You get where you don't have to check the whole chain of connections you go to the offending part, based on your experience.

So dig in and solve this and let us know what you find.

USED to piss you off?  :o

That's good, its nice to know you've accepted that goldwings are awesome and rtv sealant is the greatest thing since sliced bread :B
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha cough cough hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaaha
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kwells

I'm liking this thread more and more....Inane still pisses me off
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: inanecathode on April 09, 2009, 11:49:26 PM
Okey dokey then.
After you're done fixing a massive multinational corporations conspiracy to make the vision run like shit from the factory, and install totally custom in every way fuel injection and electronic ignition, maybe you can come fix my time machine so i can buy up a bunch of rz500 parts in 1986.
Good luck with the vision adventure.
You are being deliberately inane just to piss people off  :P It's not that it's a conspiracy, rather that Yamaha did many things to the Vision for reasons other than making it a great bike.

There is no doubt that motorcycle manufacturers are forced to do horrible things for fuel economy, emmisions, technology, delivery dates, fashion and cost reduction.  These things are not necessarily appropriate to persist 25 years later as a very limited number of enthusiasts bikes rather than a mass market model.  People like us often spend far more than strictly economic on our bikes and there is a whole bunch of stuff that can be improved on these bikes if cost and legislation is no object, not to mention 25 years of technology.  
Would you seriously suggest we keep rubber hoses rather than braided? Single disk rather than twin? that the rear shock is as good as it gets? Cardboard gaskets rather than RTV?  All just because that's what came out of the factory?  The same goes for the air/fuel system.
I'd toss those carbs in a flash for an EFI system that produced better engine response, and there would likely be the by-product of better economy, less polution and fewer wars over oil.  I just don't have the skills or time to work out a system for myself.

funkamongus

I feel like the yikes made the bike faster responding and way faster rev down..I dont know why,, I had it capped to get it running and when it started running, I thought Id try to yics. I did the cut, re-seal.. put it on the bike.. waited until it was warm and adjusted the Idle,, not much,, not as much as I had to do when I took it off because of the vacuum leak,, ran it. much difference. notable. If someone figures out a way to make these faster, more responsive, longer lasting, better economy with no loss of power, COUNT ME IN!! Im not engineer material, this is all new to me, but if someone is, does their thing, and its better,, Id try it if it didnt cost too much.. I like stock, but these arent exactly collectors Items are they ??  Seriously, I dont know, are they?
I own:

kwells

funk,
I think that depends on how close to 'new' yours is.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

funkamongus

only 20K,, clue me in on what you mean? I plan to ride her until she dies. All my bikes. So, it sounds like something I should know...
I own:

akvision

funk (our alter E)

THIS IS A CULT BIKE, and I'm glad I own one..

Maybe, I will get to ride it soon.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

I think if we combined Kid Jedi's ideas and modifications with Chimeras super modified Vision, it would be one HE77 of a bike!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

last video I saw of it it was doing pretty good..that reminds me, gotta drop him a note about the yics..
I own:

inanecathode

All's I'm sayin' is, give peas a chance no, just that fuel injection isnt just "put this on here, plug this in here, and hurrah it's working". It's mind blowingly complicated not just in the custom electronics you'd have to build from stock, but the modifications to the engine to accept sensors that'll help the injection work. I like spunkiness and all that happy crap but it gets on my nerves sometimes, maybe I'm was the christmas grinch in another life. To be fair i was tired and grumpy so i'll make that problem yours to handle then :P

The thing that apparently annoys me so is someone who has had the bike for less than a month comes on and tells basically everyone they're full of crap and everything they've thought about its problems were wrong because he's talked to some mystery automotive mechanics, and that hes going to solve every single problem you could possibly think of thats wrong with the bike all in one go. Plus the whole come up with a conclusion first, then research for data that'll support your conclusion, but that always bugs me.

Roro: That was funny, i was reading what you said and i couldnt understand what you meant till i realized you werent using my screen name you were using the actual word  ;D. I was alluding to the fact that when shade tree mechanics (i'm one so dont start pming me people) encounter components that have no apparent usage, or aren't obviously vital they almost always just get removed in the name of performance. Heat riser tubes, vacuum flappers, catalytic converters, stock mufflers 'that dont flow like shit', anything that could be considered unnecessary by the end user is just assumed as garbage and ripped off. Upgrading brake lines, replacing gaskets, things like that are actually upgrades. I'm just whinging that people often don't think critically first before they go modifying things or what have you.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

Inane , I wouldn't go that far. Gold Wings and all SUV size bikes suck. My question is ,if it doesn't stop and it doesn't go and it doesn't handle , what do I want with it !  I ride with a bunch of guys who wear the individualists uniform, leather jacket, rag around the head, chaps and all kinds of patches and chrome studs and chains. , But, I'm  way too much of a rugged individualist,  to wear the uniform . I wear a helmet and either a tour master or Joe rocket jacket  and jeans . Aside from that I'm opinionated as he** and that's never going to change !!
By the way RTV is great for reapplying Yamaha and Vision emblems and little else!!! ;) ;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Rick G. :Your uniform is my uniform.  Rock on.

Inane:  Chill Dude.  We should all wish Kidj all the success in the world, applaud him, and help in every way possible.  What does it matter if the current interpretation of all things V is challenged by him or anybody else?  If success, or at least a deeper V understanding, comes from his efforts, we all win.  If he should eventually come to understand the V as many of us do, he still wins with a deeper knowledge of how things Truly Work, aka: The Truth.  His adventures along that path may add to the body of V knowledge.

Kid Jedi

Just to be difficult to inane  ;), I have been working on this bike for about 4 years. I just finally got around to buying it off my dad about 5 months ago. As for the fuel injection system, look up Micro squirt. Fuel injection isn't as hard as people think it is. just shell out for the parts and it virtually falls together. and there is ALOT of support for it. I think that after I pioneer this project, I could easily imagine a few other visionarys  doing the same. (Just follow that path that looks like it was cut by a drunk, inbred, 3 legged hippo!)

I don't do anything to my bike before considering all angles, which is why I am being a pain in yer collective arse and asking all these quirky questions :)

I don't want a race bike, but I want a ROCK SOLID vision, and some of that race tech could be REALLY nice out on highway one...

And I have to take little shortcuts and do things half arsed because the customer dosn't want to pay for the proper fix all day at my shop (like that god damn Yamaha vino I was working on today!) and this bike is my chance to vent, to show myself that even with the possibly quirkiest bike on the planet can run Perfectly, ie: not eat stators, no carb stumble, and never leak gas or oil!

Is that a realistic goal?  No. However, I am having fun trying!  :P
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

Your to be commended for your goal.
My vision is ROCK SOLID , having only failed to bring me home, once in 10 years and  nearly 50,000 miles .
It has taken some effort and repair to keep it that way , especially as I am known to flog it unmercifly, occasionally. But, any old bike will require maintenence and be better with some upgrades.
Carry on!
Rick G

akvision

Kid,
Just invest in a good used SV650 and save your money.  Once you do all your planned mods to the "V", it will not be a "V" any more.
You can try, but it is throwing good $$$$ after a bike that is like the SV650.  i would have one now, but the Vision trapped me.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

i test rode the sv650. hated the electrics and chain drive, the riders triangle didn't fit me nearly as well, and i missed the sound of the vision. not to mention the low center of gravity and the way that a vision turns heads!
Loves to over think things.

The Prophet of Doom

You are right that people don't always think before "improving" things.  The XZ400, (manufactured after the 550) went back to the old 82 carbs (with different jetting) and no flapper at all, just a hole in the back of the airbox.  So did Yamaha figure out that all that flapper stuff was just a shit idea after all?