News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Time travel

Started by Kid Jedi, April 29, 2009, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

OK inane I am too curious for my own good. your thoughts?

Here's my theory:

Our perception of time is the chief problem on how to travel through it. I don't think time travels in a strait line, like a river but like a movie theater. on one screen I am getting my first motorcycle and on another I am typing this. everything that is/will/had happened is still happening. time travel is simply theater hopping or sending a text message to your self in another screening room. So if matter is everywhere at once, doing everything at once, then time travel should be a hard as walking to another room, or you should be able to communicate with your future/ past self by thinking really hard about it. Twin studies and such suggest a link that science is yet to explain, maby brain waves travel in ways we are yet to fully understand.

Also: If time travel ever exists I must live in the really shitty part of history, I haven't seen a single tourist!  :)
Loves to over think things.

kiawrench

could be your time travel theater is playing films best suited for an indie festival?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

I would rather think of time travel not as actually going forwards and backwards, but going side to side. I've read a few stories where every probability of every event in the universe down to the smallest sub particle created a different path for time to take. Think of how many atoms would be in, say, a couch. Then figure how many different combination of electron positions you could have, multiplied over the smallest measurable period of time for say 5 minutes. That'd be how many different choices (times how much mass is actually in the universe at that time) of possible histories you could have.

The trick would be being accurate enough to land yourself in the exactly right probable history with every event prior being perfectly accurate to your own history, even then it'd be useless into the future after that point due to chaos theory.

Or, a time machine would only be able to go forwards, or would only be able to go backwards to the moment of its construction. :O
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

Ive seen the movies in the theater to my left,, the ones on my right,, Ive seen some previews and they dont look that good so Im waiting for the tv version...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kid Jedi

Ah I have heard about those time machines! in 30 minutes you could be 1/2 an hour in to a strange new future!

Rick G

I've heard time described as an endless phonograph record , all you need to do is figure out how to pick up the arm and place it somewhere else on the record.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

This is the only moment you can do anything................ Oops!  It's gone.

You have to do it before you think about it.          Now thats time travel!

You can only change things in the "now".          Not the past or the future.

Get it... and you will have some control of your life. ::)   I try to focus on NOW.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

inanecathode

But, really.
If there was time travel we'd see tourists.
If there were aliens they'd have told us in the loudest way possible.
If radio transmissions could travel across vast distances in space seti would have found one.

There, now be all depressed :(

funkamongus

Ive heard it said,, "yesterday is a canceled check,, tomorrow is a promissory note,, But today,, today, my friends,, is cash.
I own:

Kid Jedi

Another problem with time travel is that as soon as anyone invents it, some one would go back in time and undo it.

funkamongus

yeah, its like the rest of the world,, as soon as they come up with something "foolproof",, they come out with a better fool.
I own:

inanecathode

You couldnt time travel due to paradox anyway. Theres really fun ways to get around that though, if you have time i'd suggest the hitler paradox for reading. Its amusing.

Kid Jedi

its an off topic post, you have my full attention inane  :)

inanecathode

From http://io9.com/5094494/why-you-cant-travel-back-in-time-and-kill-hitler:

Why you can't travel back in time and kill hitler.

Next month sees the release of Valkyrie, a film about Claus von Stauffenberg, the man who tried to assassinate Adolph Hitler. Plenty of time travelers have had the same idea, although their plan was to kill Hitler before he enacted mass genocide. Their intentions may be noble, but the plans always seem to go awry, leaving history unchanged or even worse than when they left. We list all the ways their attempts go wrong, so you can plan your time travel accordingly.

His Life is a Fixed Event in Time

"No Time Like the Past" (The Twilight Zone): Paul Driscoll is a well-meaning but ineffectual time traveler. Not only does he fail to kill Hitler (thanks to the intervention of a suspicious maid), he also fails to warn the Hiroshima police about the atomic bomb and fails to keep the Lusitania from being torpedoed. It turns out that he is unable to change past events, and, when he does effect events in the past, it is only as part of a predestination paradox.

He's More Clever Than You'd Think

I Killed Adolph Hitler by Jason: When a depressed hitman is contracted to go back in time and kill Hitler, the Fuhrer gets the better of him, stealing his time machine and leaving the hitman in the past to wait and plan his revenge.

You're Actually Part of a Predestination Paradox

"The Primal Solution" by Eric Norden: An elderly Holocaust survivor discovers a method of mental time travel and seeks to undo the horrors he witnessed in his youth by possessing the body of the young Hitler. He humiliates the young Austrian, then tries to goad Hitler into suicide, but Hitler regains control of his body before the deed can be accomplished. The young Hitler is so haunted by the encounter with the Jewish man's mind that he resolves that he can only find peace by exterminating the entire Jewish people.

Cradle of Darkness (The Twilight Zone): Katherine Heigl travels to 1889 Austria in order to kill the infant Hitler. She succeeds in killing the baby by jumping into a river with it, but Adolph's mother buys another baby and raises it as her own. And that baby grows into the Adolph Hitler that Heigl's character set out to kill.

His Guards Are Used to Dealing with Time Traveling Assassins

Subnormality: In this strip of the webcomic Subnormality, we learn that Hitler's guards are actually quite adept at killing time travelers before they get to Hitler. And all those attempts have got to make them wonder...

You'll Be Thwarted By Other Time Travelers

"The Savage Time" (Justice League of America): The supervillain Vandal Savage travels back in time and places Hitler in cryogenic storage not to prevent the horrors of the Holocaust, but to assume control over the Nazi party and continue its regime into the present day. To reset the timeline, the Justice League travels back in time to remove Savage from power and have Hitler reinstated.

Midnighter: In the first arc of the Midnighter solo series, a man named Paulus claims to have replaced Midnighter's secondary heard with a bomb, which he will detonate unless Midnighter goes back in time and kills Hitler. Midnighter does try to kill Hitler as a young German soldier, but he is stopped by time police from the 95th Century.

Days of Cain by JR Dunn: A group of rebel time agents seek to undo one of humanity's greatest atrocities by killing Hitler, or, barring that, dismantling the death camps from within. But a society of time agents known as the Moiety is determined to preserve a certain version of the timeline of any cost, giving their agent Gasper James the unenviable task of ensuring the Holocaust goes forward.

"Wikihistory" by Desmond Warzel: One of the bylaws of the International Association of Time Travelers states that you can't kill Hitler. The problem is, everybody kills Hitler on their first trip. This leaves more experienced time travelers the onerous task of undoing the historical edits of n00bs.

Killing Him Just Brings About a Potentially Worse Future

Making History by Stephen Fry: A history student and a physics professor manage to send a permanent male contraceptive pill back in time where Hitler's father will consume it, ensuring Hitler will never be born. But without Hitler, the Nazi party is ripe for the leadership of Rudolph Gloder, who shares Hitler's genocidal agenda, but is far more efficient, stable, patient, and charismatic. Free from Hitler's personality flaws, Gloder was able to take over all of Europe, so that, in the alternate present day, an extremely conservative US is in a cold war with the Nazis.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert: In the video game, Albert Einstein invents a time machine, which he uses to go back in time and deleted Hitler from time before he could rise to power. But, without a strong Germany, Stalin's Russia invades Europe, and eventually the United States.

It's All Just a Dream

"The Man Who Dreamed the World" (The Fantastic Four): When She Hulk, the Invisible Woman, the Human Torch, and Nick Fury mysteriously find themselves in the year 1936, Fury decides he may as well kill Hitler and slips off to Germany. Although the other three attempt to stop him, but just as the Invisible Woman seems to have talked him out of it, Fury shoots Hitler, killing him. But, it turns out that they had been in the dream of a coma victim, who snapped back to reality when Fury altered his dream timeline by killing Hitler. The actual timeline remains intact, leaving Fury in a less than happy mood.

Buzz up!

Tiger

I think you guys have waaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on your hands..... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!