News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

[AUS]: '82 XZ550 Rebuild Thread.

Started by chrisw, August 01, 2009, 11:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

pretty good job.  Have you thought about filling in the bottom of the tank, where the seam area is, with body filler?  It will smooth out the tank very nicely.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

chrisw

how do you mean? as in filling over where the little strip of metal joins at the base? kinda like someone crimped it?

vadasz1

EXACTLY.  Take body filler and make a few coats until it's flush.  Then it will look REAL SMOOTH.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

chrisw

Progress, completed a full engine removal and semi-strip in a total of 1 hour. All in all it was a simple procedure that cleared up alot of doubts I had previously. And dont worry!!! I am labelling and organising my parts as you read this. And yes... I am cleaning up my garage and front yard.

lovely and very ill-thought out engine stand, i need to redo-it to allow access tothe lower parts of the motor.

QBS

You might want to consider stuffing some rags down your carb throats.  Stuff happens.

chrisw

i tend to go overboard and stuff oil soaked rags in the exhaust ports and intakes of my engines when I pull em. but at the moment, its just wrapped in plastic.

Night Vision

noticed you cut a coolant tube... don't cut those upper ones because they are NLA
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

chrisw

Quote from: Night Vision on August 23, 2009, 09:35:59 PM
noticed you cut a coolant tube... don't cut those upper ones because they are NLA

uppers are semi corroded too... doesn't matter, same as when I did my 1981 Toyota Corona, it will be custom coolant piping, sucks ass to do, but its the only option.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on August 23, 2009, 09:35:59 PM

You can replace them with a couple of odds and ends.

part number GoodYear 63244.
a 3/4 to 3/4 coupler
3/4 heater hose about 16 inches (it will be cut down)

is what I used to replace my hose that ran along the right side.  It now looks like this:

chrisw

thanks brian! thats a good help for when I get to that stage. got ALOT more to go before I reach that time yet though.

Update from today, got busy with some chemical stripper to remove the 30 odd years of paint and grime. As expected the frame is covered in a decent amount of surface rust and horrid stuff.

I removed the brakes and attempted dismembering them, however they are seized shut, so Ive soaked them in some WD40 overnight, will get the compressor running tomorrow for that.

I'm very anal, and this bike is going to be a LARGE labor of love by the looks of it. I'm going to have to strip the frame to its component pieces and get it blasted or manually remove all the surface rust and fix it all up. Day by day this is becoming close to a total rebuild.

just for inquiry, I know someone mentioned different parts for brake pistons and seals, does anyone have them on quick reference?

vadasz1

I recall that the kits from an RD350 or RZ350 can be used for the calipers.

The Prophet of Doom

chrisw

more of the frame stripped. Went to test some rust stripper. worked decently, lots of elbow grease to do here unless I get it blasted.

vadasz1

Hey, what ya know.  The Vision stripped down bare naked kinda resembles a Shwinn chopper pedal bike.

QBS

chrisw

Quote from: QBS on August 25, 2009, 09:56:08 AM
Bet goes on center stand real easy.

daaaamn easy :P I was even able to flip it upside down with my bare hands.

akvision

yeah, I had white walls on my Schwinn Corvette!   It was cool in 1956.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

chrisw

Progress, I decided to go with the chemical route over sandblasting for the frame. Lots of paint stripper, wire brushes and rags. Its proceeding quite well, frame is coming up as a nice shiny brushed metal look. after the rust is dealt with and the rest of the paint stripped I'm not quite sure what I will do! the frame looks quite good as a shiny brushed, possibly polished metal look.

chrisw

Well, my 100 dollar venture with paint stripper, rust removers and all myriad of chemical "SURE FIXs" was a waste, my brain snapped and I realised... wait.. why didn't I use a wirebrush and a drill before.
EDIT: thread name amended

The finished product at the moment is not finished, theres still more work to be completed on that swingarm, and I will probably finish off with some 1200 grit hand sanding and Autosol. mmmm polished.

So I did.. and wow... this is 1.5 hours work.
more stripping.

before

after

akvision

looks good to me...  the undercoat is as important as the top coat.
use a good primer and make sure it drys and do several coats.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska