Got an later model '82 XZ-550(RJ) for $200...

Started by sunburnedaz, May 05, 2009, 05:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

... but it came in about 4 boxes, a crate, a rubber made tub and the rolling frame. So here are first pics. 

So a little about this bike, its a charcoal grey with a full fairing set.  I will be the third owner to try to resurrect this bike.  It has sat idle for over 4 years with a little over 14,000 miles.

So what I have done so far. Amazingly when I added water to the dry battery it took a charge. I have added oil to the crank case and cranked it with the truck battery and some jumper cables and the oil pressure was enough to turn the warning light off. So from there some starter fluid into the carbs and I will be damned if it didn't fire right up. It sounded like it was running on both cylinders so that is good. 

Now the basic plans for this bike are gonna be the following put a new master cylinder on since this one is missing, rebuild the carbs, new tires, new lines, replace all the fluids and generally get it to be a good running streetable bike.

More advanced long term plans include new custom wiring harness, rebuild front forks, replace rear shock, custom body work, and maybe if I can bring my self to drop the money for it getting a mega squirt kit and having some fun building a custom fuel injection system.

Oh and just for some eye candy this is my other bike with a model on it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Night Vision

not a bad deal..... even got a chrome fender and fork brace...

I'll have to warn you though, she'll never look as good as the other model
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

sunburnedaz

Haha well the second picture is from a calender photoshoot my riding group did. That photo ending up being the image for November.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Rick G

I want that front fender!!!!!I've been looking for one for quite a while. :D :D :D :D :D Anything you need that you might trade for ? I'll  toss in a stock fender!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on May 05, 2009, 06:57:31 PM
I want that front fender!!!!!I've been looking for one for quite a while. :D :D :D :D :D Anything you need that you might trade for ? I'll  toss in a stock fender!!

I'm not so sure its the chrome one rick,  Looks more like a reflection.

Oh, and if you put that model on Chimera's Vision...it WOULD look really good....

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Rick G on May 05, 2009, 06:57:31 PM

You want the fender or the bracket?
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Rick G

If its a chrome fender , I'd like to have it. I've been looking for one that would fit for a long time.
YJ you could be right ,a  second look makes me wonder.
The bracket is a fork brace  and I have two of them.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

Rick, got an extra fork brace to get rid of??
I own:

sunburnedaz

Update.... Yay I found an MC on ebay and bought it about an hour ago so when that gets in its off to the local Batteries Plus to get a sealed AGM battery for the bike then its time for the rebuild to start in earnest. All the parts are there so garage is going to get cleaned and this project will get documented.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

funkamongus

good luck W/ batteries plus.. they messed me up, and but good. I wont ever go in there again. Look them up on BBB..one of those thousands of complaints is mine.
I own:

Brian Moffet

sunburnedaz

Quote from: funkamongus on July 28, 2009, 05:44:11 PM
good luck W/ batteries plus.. they messed me up, and but good. I wont ever go in there again. Look them up on BBB..one of those thousands of complaints is mine.

How on earth did they do that it is a freaking battery 12v, XXX CCA and 3 dimensions. I can't for the life of me remember if I got my AGM F4i battery from them or someone else but man if they can mess that up I might have to look elseware or make sure to take the old one with me to make sure I get a proper replacement.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

h2olawyer

That's a good way to buy a Vision.  It allows you to check out almost everything before you install it & refurbish or replace anything needing attention.  Welcome to the asylum!

Had to take a second look at the loweer photo - there IS a bike in that picture after all.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

sunburnedaz

Digging up an old post just before I start work on it. I just finally got a good picture of the bike in its current state so here it is as promised. And if anyone in the PHX area wants to help or knows where to source parts that would be great.

Current state

Current state with the tank on it just to see what it will look like

THE Loose nut behind the wheel

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: sunburnedaz on May 05, 2009, 05:24:46 PM

Oh and just for some eye candy this is my other bike with a model on it.

Obviosly that chick would look better on a vision