My blonde moment.

Started by [jh], September 01, 2009, 04:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

Why the heck is the right mirror a left thread? I thought mine was stripped so ran a tap through the hole, cleaned the threads on the mirror, fought with it a wee bit longer before stumbling across the fact that it was a lefty thread. I felt so stupid afterwards for not figuring it out sooner :-\
There has to be a good reason for it, does anyone know? I can only figure it would be for pushing the mirror away when riding if it comes loose is better than pulling forward. I don't know ???
wow!

Re-Vision

Not all dumbs are blond.  BDC

Night Vision

Quote from: [jh] on September 01, 2009, 04:57:03 PM
There has to be a good reason for it, does anyone know? I can only figure it would be for pushing the mirror away when riding if it comes loose is better than pulling forward. I don't know ???

it's so when you drop the bike on the right side, the mirror "loosens" on impact, same with the left side...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on September 01, 2009, 05:31:08 PM
Quote from: [jh] on September 01, 2009, 04:57:03 PM

it's so when you drop the bike on the right side, the mirror "loosens" on impact, same with the left side...

Wow!  I did not know that.  Nice tidbit.

david

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Re-Vision

Essentially you are right but I suspect it was primarily to keep the mirrors from being snapped off when bumped during normal maneuvering and riding not crashing.  Wasn't too many years ago when automobiles first began using mirrors that would fold in in tight places.  BDC

Lucky

Ok JH, he's how you fix it:
find a good sized pointed set screw,drill the proper sized hole in the front side of the upright cast piece, thread it, insert your mirror, tighten the screw & off you go.

that's how i fixed mine, it was corroded to death.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

The set screw (grub screw) is a good idea.  If you don't have a tap set you could try what I did...
I cleaned mine out and filled it with araldite 2-part epoxy then screwed the mirror in as well as i could and held it in place with tape.  When the epoxy was set I had a new thread that held up till I sold the bike years later.

[jh]

It still has a good bite on it so I think I will wait to see if it comes loose when riding before I go to far. Somehow it's threaded in there.
wow!

Kevin

The left handed threads is a yamaha thing. And you aren't the first.

[jh]

;D you sound like you speak from experience ;D
wow!