News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

You know you have to go riding more often when...

Started by Lucky, May 16, 2010, 06:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

you find a birdsnest in your fairing...

Jeeze, & I thought the mud daubers were bad last year...

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

See, I told you we needed to go for a ride.  8D

However, being as environmentally conscious that I am, you are now going to have to wait until the little chicks hatch and fly away.  Or, just spray it with a crapload of carb cleaner.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

OMG! Carb cleaner? Are you serious!? That is sick...I can't believe you suggested that.

Lucky, please don't use carb cleaner to vacate the chicks. You might get some on the plastic and damage it.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rikugun on May 16, 2010, 09:21:02 PM
OMG! Carb cleaner? Are you serious!? That is sick...I can't believe you suggested that.

Lucky, please don't use carb cleaner to vacate the chicks. You might get some on the plastic and damage it.

LOL..  He knows I'm only kidding.

David

Lucky

it wasn't finished, i tossed it on the grass nearby so he (she?, they?) could find it & see that they weren't welcome..

The Prophet of Doom

I was going to go riding today, except I discovered I have more degrees than the weather.
So I'm staying at home catching up on my RoV reading

YellowJacket!

Didnt someone post in the past that they had a mouse nest complete with froot loops in their airbox?

David

Lucky

my sons 600D had a mousenest & petrified mouse in the seat...

Rikugun

QuoteLOL..  He knows I'm only kidding

So was I. When are you guys gonna get my humor!? The set up is the feigned shock that is designed to have you think I'm concerned about the birds. The punchline is the reveal that I'm actually concerned about getting carb cleaner on the fairing and damaging it. You see, when one has to explain the joke it kinda' looses it's zing. Come on guys, pay attention! lol  :laugh:

I do have a serious comment about the pic that has nothing to do with birds....Is that 2 stainless brake lines coming from the master cyl? Rather than one to a splitter then to the calipers?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rikugun on May 17, 2010, 08:18:35 PM
I do have a serious comment about the pic that has nothing to do with birds....Is that 2 stainless brake lines coming from the master cyl? Rather than one to a splitter then to the calipers?

Yes it is.  That's the standard setup for Gafer lines for an 83 dual-disk setup.   Here's what the master looks like (this is my 83, not Lucky's bike):

inanecathode

Do they make a less bulky setup that just replaces the lines that are there, or is that a custom line job.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

You can  have one custom made, I believe H2O did that.  Next time I get around to it I'll probably do the same. I still have the splitter attached to the bike just for that occasion.  Gaffer only does the double line last I checked.

Brian

h2olawyer

I just bought individual lines & fittings then put it all together.  It is the same style system as the stock setup.  Cost a LOT more than buying a pre-made kit.  When I did mine, nobody was advertising the dual disc kits for the Vision - even on eBay, so I just measured the lines and placed an order.  Final cost was around $150 for my setup which is a combination of Goodridge lines and Russell fittings.  The fittings were not sized the same as the stock system, so I had to replace all the banjo bolts, too.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

then you possibly bought the wrong fittings. All Yamaha's are 10mm bolt size. 10mm is common...What size did you buy?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rikugun

h2olawyer

Neither length nor diameter - it was the thickness of the fittings.  The holes inside the banjo fittings didn't meet up with the holes in the bolts.  Same diameter & thread in the bolts.  I thoroughly researched the parts and that was one dimension that was never discussed anyplace.  The single fittings would have worked with some restriction, but where two lines meet, requiring a double banjo bolt, one of the lines would have been shut off from any fluid movement.  So I went ahead and replaced all the banjo bolts.  I think I did this job around 6 years ago or so.  The availability of braided stainless lines for older bikes has improved markedly in that time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky