News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

OK, so this is a bit strange

Started by YellowJacket!, June 14, 2010, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

This is a bit strange.  I have a logitech speaker system that I plug my mp3 palyer into and it is picking up some kind of short wave radio broadcast or something.  Oh, and nothing is connected to it and the volume is turned all the way down!  It only does it when my mp3 player is disconnected.
I was sitting in my office today and heard someone quoting Bible verses and talking about the end of the world.  I thought at first it was coming from my computer so I shut it down. Nope, could still hear it.  I turned the volume on my speaker set all the way down but the "broadcast" got louder.  I pulled the plug to make sure it wasn't connected to anything and it continued plain as day.
and, nope...I didn't get too much sun while I was on vacation.  Kinda reminds me of the Gilligans Island episode when Gilligans fillings were picking up radio broadcasts.
The funny thing about it is if I turn the volume up, it goes away.
Strange, very strange.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vadasz1

I think this is a problem that the Professor can solve. 8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Re-Vision

All it takes is a speaker, diode rectifier and an antenna with sufficient signal strength (Unless you are hearing voices from God), like the old crystal radio sets. Who ever is transmitting is probably close or they are putting out a lot of power. Hope you don't continue to hear voices David.    BDC

YellowJacket!

heh heh heh.  not hearing voices.   If I turn the volume UP, it goes away.  Turn the volume down and its loud and clear.
My guess is that its a short wave broadcast or am.  I scanned through all the am stations though on a radio in my kitchen and didn't find the same broadcast.
David

inanecathode

Quote from: Re-Vision on June 14, 2010, 09:27:56 PM
All it takes is a speaker, diode rectifier and an antenna with sufficient signal strength (Unless you are hearing voices from God), like the old crystal radio sets. Who ever is transmitting is probably close or they are putting out a lot of power. Hope you don't continue to hear voices David.    BDC

God broadcasts on FM i believe.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on June 15, 2010, 12:01:26 AM
God broadcasts on FM i believe.

Huh, I thought it was A.M, -- Anno Moduli.

Brian  (yes, I am aware...)

Re-Vision

He reaches everywhere, think he uses SSB.   BBC

funkamongus

Dont eat the mushrooms on that side of the island!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: funkamongus on June 16, 2010, 11:54:17 PM
Dont eat the mushrooms on that side of the island!!

a little butter and olive oil, shallots, scallops and garlic on linguine.

Why shouldn't I eat themmm..   Oh...  uh...   :P

funkamongus

Im feeling very small.....

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small...
but the mushrooms on YJ island, can make your synapses crawl...
I own:

The Prophet of Doom

Not so strange, this is not uncommon on cheaper systems, and very common with unconnected input leads.  Your cable is working as an antenna.  Solutions will vary on your location and the signal strength. 

You can buy RF supressing cables, these have a lump in them.  You can also buy cables with extra shielding in them. 

DIY (visionary) solutions include making sure your connections are clean, Turning your system around 90 degrees,  disconnecting any unbconnected cables, put a couple of loops in your input cable and hold them in place with a zip tie, wrap your cable in aluminium (aluminum) foil

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on June 17, 2010, 02:11:43 AM
Not so strange, this is not uncommon on cheaper systems, and very common with unconnected input leads.  Your cable is working as an antenna.  Solutions will vary on your location and the signal strength.  

You can buy RF supressing cables, these have a lump in them.  You can also buy cables with extra shielding in them.  

DIY (visionary) solutions include making sure your connections are clean, Turning your system around 90 degrees,  disconnecting any unbconnected cables, put a couple of loops in your input cable and hold them in place with a zip tie, wrap your cable in aluminium (aluminum) foil

Thank you Roro for your serious and informative contribution. The setup has its own amp and two inputs; one for the PC and one for the MP3.  Since I use it only for my MP3 player, I disconnected the extra lead which would go to the computer.  Apparently it WAS acting like an antenna.

..and to the rest of you, I don't do shrooms but I DO consume large quantities of Dihydrogenmonoxide.  :-)

David

funkamongus

Oooh that stuff will MESS YOU UP!! You be careful... 
I own:

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on June 17, 2010, 02:11:02 PM

..and to the rest of you, I don't do shrooms but I DO consume large quantities of Dihydrogenmonoxide.  :-)

David

That shit is bad for you man, thats why i only drink bottled water. Who knows what concentrations of that the government has the city put in the system!

funkamongus

True,, and have you heard about them using metallic elements to extract it from the air itself so that it will drop on us as droplets?????? Damn conspiracy, I tell you.
I own:

YellowJacket!

well, lets see, city water has flouride and who knows what else.  Bottled water is city water filtered by reverse osmosis and ultraviolet rays.  Well water has who knows what in it and spring water most likely has benzene in it.  So, it must all be good for you, right?  lol...
I'LL just stick to my margarita with Jose Cuervo Gold in it.  8)

David

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on June 18, 2010, 11:00:14 PM

"You're not worried about the raw egg whites in your drink?" 

"No, they're in a solution that is 12:1 a very strong anti-septic..."

inanecathode

well, lets see, city water has flouride and who knows what else.  Bottled water is city water filtered by reverse osmosis and ultraviolet rays.  Well water has who knows what in it and spring water most likely has benzene in it.  So, it must all be good for you, right?  lol...

David

My dad makes drinking water for the city of black hawk, nothing leaves the plant that wasnt in there already except for residual chlorine, chloramines from used up chlorine. I'm not sure how benzene would get into a deep rock aquifer but, theres always magic i suppose ;P

I wouldnt worry about the flouride in your water, i'd worry about the ethanol you're ingesting on purpose. Think it makes your bike run funny and eats fuel tanks? You know what its doing to your liver.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on June 18, 2010, 11:21:12 PM

"You're not worried about the raw egg whites in your drink?" 

"No, they're in a solution that is 12:1 a very strong anti-septic..."

Raw egg whites?  How do they end up in Margaritas?   ???

I only mentioned the flouride because one of the counties down here has a big debate going on about it.  They think the flourine is bad for you and want the city to stop adding it to the water.

David

David

h2olawyer

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

;D  Purity of Essence   ;D
H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.